1970s sydney international convention questions

by Aussie Oz 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i was there as a kid... i know i was but for the life of me i can't find anything about it in here or on google!

early 1970s... what year was it?

what was it called?

what was the attendance?

How many days did it go for?

does anyone remember the bomb scare?

thanks

Oz

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Are you talking about the 1969 international assembly in Melbourne?

I remember 1978 being an international assembly, held at Sydney.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

1969 Peace on Earth at Melbourne?

Held at a racecourse. Gardens in front of the stage. Tin folding chairs out in the hot sun for those that didn't get there early enough to 'book' their seats in the stands.

I don't remember any bomb scare. A KH got bombed a few years later.

Spent most of my time volunteering to keep my arse out of the seats.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I remeber going to Randwick race course. Perhaps it was not an international? But i cant understand why bus loadsof us would have gone from near Melb to sydney for a disctrict one.

We were still in Ballarat and we went on a huge coach trip to get there.

that puts it between 72 and 76.

I was 10 when mum joined in 72 and by 76 we moved to SA when she got married again.

defintly a bomb scare, we all had to leave our seats and belongings for a while.

oz

please keep digging!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

In December of 1973, the "Divine Victory" international assembly was held in Sydney. This was the one in which there was a bomb scare, and I am fairly certain that the venue was Randwick Racecourse.

Four years later, i.e. December of 1978, another international assembly was held in Sydney. Unfortunately, I cannot recall that ones name!

Bill.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Post Script!

The 1978 international assemblies were called "Victorious Faith".

Bill.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah, I was there and yeah, I remember the bomb scare. Geez it's too long ago to remember exactly but I was baptised in 76, so it was after then, prob 78. I can remember that they got city brothers to inform their country cousins not to stare at the prostitutes in Kings Cross!!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

A full program for those two international assemblies can be found on the website http://www.geocities.ws/jrista.

These ran for five days, and the 1973 "Divine Victory" assemblies were the first not to have evening sessions.

Bill.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Thankyou!

i was beginning to think i was delusional!

cheers all

oz

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

wow remember The Divine Victory DA, what a repugnant title.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit