Jehovahs Witness evaded prison for 25 years due to JW coverup finally jailed

by James_Slash 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Rapist evaded justice for years

Published on Tue Dec 07 08:12:05 GMT 2010

A RAPIST evaded justice for 25 years because Jehovah’s Witnesses did nothing when told about his child sex abuse, a court heard.

Anthony Burns, aged 54, was confronted with his crimes against a young child in the 1980s but no action was taken by the religious organisation.

Burns repeatedly abused a girl as young as nine years old, from 1977 until 1984 when she revealed what had been happening.

Burns, of Back Road, Wisbech, in Cambridgeshire, denied four charges of indecent assault, attempted rape and rape but was convicted after a trial. The abuse took place in the 1970s and early 1980s in Eastbourne and Northamptonshire. He was jailed for 11 years and placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Judge Charles Wide QC said: “It is very unfortunate the Jehovah’s Witnesses community dealt with a complaint in 1984 in a wholly inappropriate way, seemingly more concerned with their own reputation than doing justice, but I acknowledge they were very different times.

“I sincerely hope their processes have been changed radically since then. It is because of their involvement that these matters were not reported. You were challenged at the time by two witnesses and could have made a clean breast of it but you did not and during the trial, you had the gall to accuse them of lying about it.”

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Imagine what a fantastic world it would be if everyone was a Jehovah's Witness! Everyone would be so happy, especially the pedophiles.

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Its an absolute disgrace. I wonder if the Judge realises that they still carry the same policy (the new Elders handbook) that they did all those years ago.

I'm sure he thinks that it is common sense that they wouldn't, but you know what the JW's are like - obeying God as ruler than men and all that.

HYPOCRITES!

• moshe
    moshe

It's amazing how the WT leadership puts the public image of it's religion ahead of the welfare and safety of vulnerable JW children.-- And JWs wonder why their religion "gets no respect" from the public.

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

'............what are you talking about, he looks like a perfectly fine spiritual elder!!! That young sister certainly must have been lying about this instance cause he was an outstanding member of the congregation...............'

GAG ME! That is so fucked up! How can anyone dismiss abuse charges? Most of the elders involved in any situation have children and I don't understand how they can dismiss charges constantly! Damn religious rules, wonder what Jehovah thinks when stuff like this happens....

DISCUSTING! Pedophiles are the lowest people!

• looloo
    looloo

a very common story , time and time again ! with nobody learning from past mistakes and more children getting abused because storys like this confirm to abusers that they will get away with it thanks to the elders wanting to keep it out the public eye ! disgusting , those poor children !

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Disgusting.

Loz x

• cantleave
    cantleave

We must protect Jehovah's organisation. Bunch of tossers!

• looloo
    looloo

the official line is that victims are not discouraged from going to the police ! unfortunatly neither are they encouraged to either ! i really had to encourage my daughter to give a statement to the police about her abuse , in the end she agreed to do it to protect other children and not because she wanted "revenge!" or justice for herself ! but not bringing reproach on jehovahs name was all the elders were bothered about years earlier when my girls abuser was kept in the cong after abusing another girl !

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

I wish that Barbara Anderson would do another TV programme again to highlight this with silent lambs. It was watching that TV coverage that shocked me and was the straw that broke the camels back. More JW's need to be aware of silent lambs and Barbara Andersons story, I am sure many have not even heard of her.

The victims voices need to be heard. These poor children, many adults are suffering because of what happened to them as children in the organisation because of their stupid policies and cover ups. When I watched that programme it was the last time I went to a kingdom hall meeting.

I am so sorry looloo for what your daughter went through, and the disgusting way it was handled. It was brave of her to go to court because she was thinking of protecting other innocent children. I hope others will do the same and not be afraid to expose and speak out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit