Looking for Home Owners Insurance Advice

by lisavegas420 11 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Hello Knowledgeable People.

I am looking for advise on home owners insurance. We've lived in the same house of 12 years and had the same home owners insurance for 12 years. Every year the insurance goes up about $100.00. This year it jumped up $200.00. We have never filed a claim.

Is there a quick easy way to find out if I can get a better home insurance deal without getting a hundred phone calls from agents trying to sell me their insurance?

I just want to see a list of what is offered and the cost...see my choices and be able to pick one. Without feeling pressured.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

lisa

• fokyc
    fokyc

Easy in the UK on the web, but your area I have NO idea.

try these:

http://www.usinsuranceonline.com/

http://www.insurance4usa.com/

http://www.insuranceusa.com/

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Most insurance agents (at least here in Massachusetts) represent multiple insurance companies. That way they an shop for th best rate. Try calling/emailing a few agents and see if they represent more than one company for a quote.

My insurance continually climbs and my agent said it primarily was because the costs continue to rise if you needed to replace your home.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Don't let your mortgage holder select one for you..get one on your own. They tend to charge higher rates if they get it for you.

I would think the only way to really get a good idea is to contact several homeowner insurance companies and compare.

Be award of what kind of coverage you want like do you need flood insurance riders, jewelry riders etc.

Will the company cancel you if you have more than one claim in a year?

What about natural disasters, how do they cover it or do they? (act of god) Will you be covered in a flood, tornado

Will you get full cost replacement value for your home or will it be adjusted to the current prices? (Lot of houses lost value in the last few years and suffered when claims were made)

Snoozy..

A suggestion when making claims during a major damage suit..like a major hailstorm Get a second estimate from an independant contractor for the repair work. When they send out claims adjustors they will offer the lowest bid they can and send/give you a check. They will also minimize your damages so you may be shortchanged.

After a bad hailstorm they were so busy..the adjustors they sent out didn't have too much experience. We had an estimate of about $500. from him. Had we believed him that our rood wasn't that damaged we would have taken the money. We decided to have an independent appraiser out and we ended up getting over $5,000. Seems we also had siding damage and gutter damage besides a ruined roof!

They insurance company honored out results and we got the extra money!

That was American Family Insurance.

• scary21
    scary21

All State was great........State Farm, bad, bad ,evil ......Do not get State Farm!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Every year the insurance goes up about $100.00. This year it jumped up $200.00.

It makes me wonder how much they're charging you, with increases of $100 per year over 12 years. I'm paying $6oo per year in total.

I'd shop around and get some quotes.

W

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I would see if the agency that oversees your state's insurance companies has a price comparison chart posted on the web. I recently found that Texas provides a price comparison of all the companies selling auto insurance, so they probably do for homeowner's too.

Other than that, don't try to save money by purchasing an "ACV" policy instead of an "RCV" policy. Or if you do, at least know exactly what you are purchasing, and why.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Snoozy, that's funny. I had a bad experience with All State years ago (I'd been rear ended and they were trying to short me on the claim). I've been with State Farm for four or five years and its been great. My rates have not changed much in that time. I also have a great deal with them by bundling two cars and the condo into a combined plan. For eight bucks a month they tossed in a one million dollar umbrella liability policy. If nothing else, if anybody has a claim against me (let's hope not) State Farm will have a good lawyer next to me.

• scary21
    scary21

Had a small claim with State Farm years ago..Only lived in the home a few months when there was a big rain. Had a fireplace and vaulted ceiling that slanted down to meet a beezeway room that led to garage. They sent someone out from two hours away. the leak was from the fireplace and it ran down the ceiling into breezeway.The question was "when did this happen?" answer sat. night ... question "when did you note water on ceiling in beezeway? answer "a few hours later ,one am sun. Answer from her" That's two seperate claims " (your kidding me ,it took that long for it to run down my vauted ceiling) living room repair 720.00- 500.00 deductable breezeway repair 540.00-500.00 total repair 1,260.00 heres your ck for 260.00 how much did they Pay for woman to drive out and back plus time at my house 4 or 5 hours total ..plus gas)( ??????? Of course I called my agent.... she said "no way, I will look into that..... result....... your right.... I can't belive it....... I also have a horror story involving my mom, a woman hit her car . The woman had State Farm That is the way it is FL. Dicked her around for a month THEY WANTED HER CAR THEY GOT IT She had to climb over from the passanger side to drive she was 80.. Sent someone out 2 times taking pics you may think she had a lexis no a DODGE SHADOW SHE ENDED UP HAVING A HEART ATTACK.......... I HATE HATE HATE THAT COMPANY!!!!!!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Thank you all for your advise. I knew I was coming to the right place for suggestions.

We have State Farm. For our house and all three cars. Our home owners insurace this year is $844.00

In 2009 it was $665.00; 2008 it was $563.00.

We have never filed a claim. As a matter of fact..even after my children moved out, they were still using our address for thier mailing address. Everytime one of them would get a ticket the insurance would call me to see if they were living in our house and if they drove our cars.

But when we had a fire in our home..and I was burned and care flighted to the hospital and it was on the front page of the paper..we got NO call.

Thank you all again for you help and suggestions. I'll check around and see if I can find a comparsion chart.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit