I am ready Edward De Bono's Teach Your Children How to Think. In it he has a 6 hats method of thinking about a subject. Imagine a family applying this method during family study. It goes totally against the Watchtower method of "study". When thinking about an important topic, time should be spent evaluating each of the following areas.
- White Hat - Facts and Figures
- Red Hat - Emotions, feelings, hunches and intuition.
- Black Hat - Caution, truth, judgement, fitting the facts
- Yellow Hat - Advantages, benefits, savings
- Green Hat - Exploration, proposals, suggestions, new ideas
- Blue Hat - control of the thinking process.
The Watchtower demands exactly the opposite.
- 1. Accept Watchtower information on face value; do not worry about looking for facts beyond what is provided by the Watchtower.
- a. For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures,…” Question Box from theKingdom MinistrySep 2007 (US Edition)
- b. "In Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing…"Watchtower1967 Jun 1 p.338
- 2. Do not listen to your intuition if it is in disagreement with the information.
- a. "We also remember that one feature of 'the wisdom from above' is being 'ready to obey.'… Due to background and upbringing, some may be more given to independent thinking and self-will than others. Perhaps this is an area where we need to discipline ourselves and 'make our mind over' so that we can perceive more clearly what the 'will of God' is."Watchtower1987 February 1 p.19
- 3. Do not exercise caution, as you must not question the information
- a. "Thus, the one who doubts to the point of becoming an apostate sets himself up as a judge. He thinks he knows better than his fellow Christians, better also than the 'faithful and discreet slave,' through whom he has learned the best part, if not all that he knows about Jehovah God and his purposes."Watchtower1980 August 1 p.19
- 4. OK, this is allowed if you are considering the benefits of accepting Watchtower information
- 5. Do not explore other ideas
- a. "First, since "oneness" is to be observed, a mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rather, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and "the faithful and discreet slave." By regularly taking in the spiritual food provided "at the proper time"-through Christian publications, meetings, assemblies, and conventions-we can be sure that we maintain "oneness" with fellow Christians in faith and knowledge.-Matthew 24:45.Watchtower2001 August 1 p.14
- 6. The Watchtower agrees to control the thinking process, but stifles if more than what De Bono would be suggestion
Imagine doing a Family Study with De Bono’s six hats.
- Checking the facts, figures and source of quotes of what is written.
- Discussing your feelings and intuition of what is written.
- Examining the viewpoints of other religions.
If you apply the hats to the sovereignty issue, a global flood, or the latest generation teaching would quickly destroys anyone’s faith in the Watchtower.