still in .. wishing for a ttatt brother in the hall

by user100 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• user100
    user100

the entire hall was invited to a party at a brothers house after the memorial.. actually had conversations with a few people.. two guys that were recently disfellowshipped and since re-instated... would love to see what they really think about the religion.. but have no idea how to bring it up..

My beliefs are quite in the open (i think), i am inactive and do not comment or give talks.. i dont sing, i dont close my eyes during prayers and i dont say amen..

funny though.. we were having a conversation, one of the recently re-instated asked me which service group I belong to.. my reply after some thought was... "i have no idea" .. coz seriously.. i had no idea. wonder how that went... they all laughed it off including the pioneer drone standing next to me..

I am tempted to ask them if they value freedom of speech and if so do they think we have freedom of speech in the JW religion....

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    You have the right idea. I find many, and some very supprising people, have doubts. Take a breath and give a small opening. Watch them open up or clam up. If they open up you know you have a potential friend and all, just dont go rushing in full force. If they clam up and go full on cult mode, just smile and move on. As time goes by you will feel more comfortable. The fear fades and you will get a good sense of how far you can push things.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Agree with Morpheus; try tactful little questions/comments.

You will immediately recognize whether folks are receptive to an open discussion, or if they are hearing "apostate alarm bells".

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I predict that you won't be getting many more invitations to JW social events.

You're better off anyways. Why would you want to hang out with a bunch of people that suppress their authentic personalities in favor of pretending to be someone else?

• user100
    user100

the wife is still in.. and still requires me to go to these events.. most people are nice..

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Now I get it.

Most JWs are nice, sincere people. They just happen to belong to a high-control, authoritarian religion that prevents people from thinking for themselves.

This kind of group is often referred to as a cult.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My beliefs are quite in the open

If they are against the WTS/ JWS teachings you best keep them to yourself or very careful about revealing them to your wife and others.

People deeply avowed into religious cults like this are very aware about dissenters or opposers, they are quickly exposed and demonised.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas
    Damn.... @user100. You don't comment, sing, or pray at meetings. HOW ARE YOU STILL IN? Ok, your wife wants you to still go but your position is essentially like a DF'ed person LOL. You must be in a pretty liberal congo. Hey just wait for a TTAT brother to come to you. If there are.....they will be inclined to talk to a brother they feel is safe to talk to
  • steve2
    steve2

Most jws remain nice even after you're kicked out - they're just not nice to you.

• user100
    user100
    @whathehadas: my wife knows my beliefs.. she wants me to pretend im not an apostate.. she is just putting up with me.. she does not tolerate my apostate preaching though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit