McDonalds Prohibited?

by DakotaRed 22 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Given how the org went after tobacco in the late sixties, resulting in it's total prohibition in the early seventies, based on the health communities claims of how bad it was destroying the body (a claim not disputed by me) and how they made it a disfellowshipping offense to smoke, chew or otherwise use tobacco, I wonder if they will now ban eating at McDonalds?

What's this, you ask?

There is a group out there of Health Professionals (or claimed) that wish to heavily tax McDonalds and other so called junk food places. The taxes would be used to treat all the millions of people who are afflicted with the dreaded disease of obesity and to combat the rising costs of treating these poor misguided individuals that have been led astray, thinking they were getting healthy food at the loacl greasy pits.

Will the elders start smelling everyone's breath upon entry to the Kingdom Halls for tell tale signs of mustard and pickles? Will a ketchup stain on your tie result in a Judicial hearing to determine the extent of your sneaking a burger? Will the GB give the rank and file a mere six months to lose that extra sixty pounds or be drummed out of paradise?

I wonder if secret meetings are being held in Brooklyn today, discussing ways to combat this growing menace to our society and way of life? I truly do wonder if they will go this far. After all, they were looking out for everyone's best interest when they totally banned tobacco, were they not?

I intend to watch with bated breath and await the announcement of fast foods being banned. Look out Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Jack in the Box and even Mom and Pop greasy pits, Mother is watching.

http://www.consumeralert.org/pubs/research/Octob97.htm

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

yeah and the golden arch is a twisted ankh ...

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I'm hungry for a big mac.

• KenUK
    KenUK

..we'd heard...

• seedy3
    seedy3

Funny you should mention this. As a kid growing up in a typical California JW household (if that can be called typical), back in the 60's, I remember a time when we were not allowed to eat at McD's. This was not so much set down by the WTS as it seemed to be a local belief and rumor, about some supposed brother that took a McD's burger and had it tested at some sort of lab. It supposedly contained BLOOD (!!! OH MY). So the good little J-duds that we were boycotted the place for years. I don't really know what changed, but it seemed we started eating there again in the 70's. So far as I know there is blood in all the meat we eat, kinda hard to get rid of all of it.

I guess I'm really just reminising LOL

Seedy

• gumby
    gumby

I don't believe that would ever happen.The society is leary nowadays about putting sanctions on issues.With pressure on them as never before, they seem to have lightened up on their strict stances on many issues.

They would only warn of the dangers at best.

• larc
    larc

Hey,

You can go after McDonald's if you want. I will survive, but leave Hershey Corp. alone.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    They would only warn of the dangers at best.

Gumby

That would be tantamount to a prohibition, Gumby. Remember, as one elder told me, to understand the Watchtower, you must read between the lines.

Still, my little satire is just a ribbing. To start kicking out all the overweight sisters and brothers with the dunlap disease (your belly dun lapped over your belt) would decimate the numbers.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

When the Bethel extension in Germany was inaugurated a talk was given by Dan Sydlik condeming fast food.

Many in the audience were disappointed. They had brought their students with them to hear about the deep things and he talked about fast food and health.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Larc,

>>> You can go after McDonald's if you want. I will survive, but leave Hershey Corp. alone.<<<

I remember an exJW telling me that there was a time when she wasn't allowed to eat certain candy bars that contained lecithin. Her mom read the labels. I have no idea why lecithin would have been forbidden.

Marjorie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit