The Nasa Announcement

by bohm 49 Replies latest jw friends

• therevealer
    therevealer

It is to notify that they have intercepted the stream of spirit inspired info flowing to the gb and that now you no longer will have to go to a kingdom hall and follow all the rules and regulations from the gb to gain everlasting life. just tune into the NASA tv transmissions for the needed info.

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Watching it now - way over my head. Looking forward to a debunk on here by those with the mental capacity to understand all the big words.

S8

• Satanus
    Satanus

Extremophiles are nothing new.

S

• bohm
    bohm

This is really cool stuff! I wonder what kind of impact this will have.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

Basically they now know organizms can live in toxic enviroments. Apparenlty some microb on earth, can live and thrive of arsenic. which mean if something on earth can do it, they need to broaden their definition of life for other planets as well. basically they threw out the "carbon based life form", and were forced to redefine life it's self. it's a pretty big finding I think.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I posted this on JWood's thread, I figured I might as well post it here too.

New Life Form Discovered

Per Gizmodo, NASA is preparing to announce the discovery of an entirely new form of life:

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. We knew that there were bacteria that processedarsenic, but this bacteria--discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California--is actually made of arsenic. The phosphorus is absent from its DNA. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

Interesting conversation developing in the comments on the Gizmodo story -- people trying to figure out how significant this is, some expressing disappointment that what's being announced is not the discovery of alien life.

Two points I'd like to make on that.

1. This is huge. How can anyone not see tthat this is huge?

2. Of course it's alien life. Whether it developed on this planet independently or it was deposited here by some meteor -- this is alien life.

To borrow a phrase from our most recent podcast, this is at the very least a "proof of concept" for alien life.

If it's from this planet, is there some path by which it could have evolved from common ancestors of the rest of the biosphere? If so, how could that have happened? Every other living thing on earth shares the same chemistry -- but not these bacteria.

And if it's NOT from this planet...

Let's just say that raises some questios, too.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Just a question for clarification: When scientific literature talks about all life on earth (new life form notwithstanding) coming from a single ancestor they mean a singlekind of ancestor, not a single individual ancestor, correct?

This is very big news. It really does give hope again that life may be found within our solar system.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Very, very cool.

And very profound.

• bohm
    bohm

Mad Sweeney: The most recent common ancestor is consider to be a gene pool which is relatively "stirred" - ie. genes are frequently transferred between individual bacterias.

it is NOT a single bug, or even type of bug.

(i learned that just one month ago).

I dont know how this discovery tie into this really, but it sure mean life can be more things than we believe.

• sir82
    sir82
    can live and thrive of arsenic.

Much different, and better, than that - it is an organism that is made of arsenic (among other elements).

To add to BTS's list:

1) So, what other elements can be swapped in and out of DNA?

2) Can a bacteria based on arsenic, or some other element, evolve into a higher life form? If so, what would it look like / act like / be like?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit