JW says "how could anyone learn the truth with only a bible"

by clarity 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan - (love to know the roots of your avatar)

Well, Clarity, it is a statue of Yan Bibiyan and his friend the little devil Fiut (Fiut is standing up). Yan Bibiyan is a fictional character of a children's novel, where he befriends the little devil Fiut and Fiut flies him to the Moon. It is worth noting that the little devil does not equal Satan the devil; it is an expression for a mischevious character.

I may have listened in turn to the little mischevious devil sitting on my left shoulder and started researching the truth about "The Truth"....although my mischevious devil is yet to fly me to the Moon...

Sorry if it was boring or not what you expected...

• clarity
    clarity

The Present Truth, - thanks for the encouragement, I hope things do go well.

Yan Bibiyan, - interesting story - not boring at all. Great imagination. I did think it was an exotic name ... maybe Iranian or from the holy lands.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

LOL, Tim Minchin is a musician who has a song along those lines...

• Heaven
    Heaven

Clarity, I personally find that the real truth comes from experiencing life, being self-aware, and constantly striving to learn and improve. I have issues with the Bible as it is obviously an ancient, male-dominated publication written by men that contradicts itself and contains inaccuracies.

I have found far more truth in books such as Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and "First Things First", and Monty Roberts' "Horse Sense for People" (to name a few) than I have in any Watchtower publication or the Bible. I have difficulty relating to the Bible but I have no difficulty relating to these books I listed.

And no one has ever answered me on the following question -- if you live your entire life without ever knowing about the Bible or Christ, why is it you are not entitled to everlasting life, like these people who were discovered 2 years in the Amazon?

Remote Amazon Tribe

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

It's very important to keep in mind that during the entire Biblical era, the common literary style was METAPHOR and ALLEGORY.

It CANNOT be read literally. It is designed to CONTROL and SUBDUE the "goyim", while at the same time provide metaphysical enlightenment to the INITIATES.

In other words, the ONLY way to understand it and interpret it properly is in the form of MYTH.

When we do that, the book suddenly comes ALIVE, and the apparent contradictions and falsehoods become vital TRUTHS that show us how to overcome the challenges we've inherited on this planet.

~PS

• clarity
    clarity

Heaven good morning!

Interesting points of view - quite agree with the 1st paragraph. For me, the bible has a framwork of truth that I can't ignore.

But the idea of those 'people in the bush' who have no clue about bibles & prophecy & rules ... and yet god will kill them at armageddon or whatever, leaves me scratching my head too. It's not likely that they have jw's or mormon's knocking on their hut! lol.

Looks like this is a job for God. If 'knowing' is a criteria, he'll take care of it. If not, maybe we are all toast!

Great pic btw, thanks. Ain't going for a walk through there!

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

ProdigalSon hi,

Metaphor, allegory and myth hmm. Looking at the bible this way would lighten it up for sure. Expectations would be lowered ..yes. Have you done a study on this? And it works?

Thanks for that, Prodigal. I guess if things weren't turning out according to the bible, ... we could just think we were reading too much into it! Less of a letdown....not a bad idea.

clarity

• Ding
    Ding

Grudem's "Systematic Theology" contains the following statement: "The Old and New Testament frequently affirm that Scripture is written in such a way that its teachings are able to be understood by ordinary believers."

Interestingly, he calls this doctrine "the CLARITY of Scripture."

• clarity
    clarity

Hello Ding, had to read that quote twice to get it, must be the headache!

Systematic Theology, never heard of that before. What a great quote. I can use it along with all the other material. Love the referrence to 'clarity'!

c

• AimeeV
    AimeeV

Clarity - I think Romans 2:12-16 might help.

"All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ as my gospel declares." (NIV)

To me it seems that "Gentiles" will not be condemned for not obeying a law they did not posess...their judgement will be on other grounds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit