Explaining Biblical Contradictions Away!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Because the religion that I was taught from the age of 3 or 4 told me so - for about 45 years they told me so.
      Because if someone is going to base one's entire god-concept on the only book that explains him, and is claimed to be 'his book', and claims to show us how to worship that god-concept - it seemed entirely consistent to believe it was not just a bunch of myths and legends [translated bullshit to those with a meter].
    But, be assured I have gotten over both reasons to take either the god-concept or the book that supposedly explains him with any seriousness.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your reply.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Why is the Jesus of the Gospels trying to save Jews who are already saved. Why does the Jew 'Paul' of the Epistles show such ignorance of Judaism.

Hi Designs,

You've mentioend that before so I had a chance to speak with my friend who is a researcher for the Jewish research Center here in Toronto and who's uncle is a rabbinic scholar.

According to him it was a very prevelant view in the 1st century AD for some sects like the Phasisees and even the Essences( the future salvation of the Jews) and according to his uncle, Paul's doesn't show ignorance of the Torah OR of Judaisim ( there are a few versison of Judaisim in his time), what he seems to be doing is "redefining" HIS Judaisim after his conversion.

In other words, Paul saw HIS Judaisim of HIS day as being used and applied in a certain way and voiced it that way.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Gen 1:25 - And organisms began to form in the warm swamps on earth. They grew and multiplied and behold they evolved into creatures. In time they sough land and evolved further. To keep warm they grew hair and feather and became mammals.
    Gen 1:26 - The mammals evolved still further and started to walk on their hind legs. They became clever and became human. As humans became too clever for their own good they became bored and started to live in their imagination. They dreamed up the concept of a god. As they had never seen or hear a god they decided he must be invisible.
    Gen 1:27 - They begat many sons and daughters who became greedy and fought each other. They blamed all their problems on the god they had invented. Soon they had many gods to blame for their greed and selfishness. When they showed love to one another, they also attributed this their gods.

The True Bib

Now, explain THAT to some nomads 5000 years ago in a way that not only do could they understand, but that they could pass on to future generations via oral tradition.

The bible's creation is "baby talk" for people that, while not ignorant or "knuckle draggers", were more interested in stories that kept them entertained then scientific facts that they couldnt' care less about.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    1. Because the religion that I was taught from the age of 3 or 4 told me so - for about 45 years they told me so.

Then you must "unlearn what you have learned". Until you understand that the bible is not what the JWs make it out to be, then you will be stuck in the rut you are currently in.

Because if someone is going to base one's entire god-concept on the only book that explains him, and is claimed to be 'his book', and claims to show us how to worship that god-concept - it seemed entirely consistent to believe it was not just a bunch of myths and legends

I look at it this way, having taken a number of comparative religion classes, what religious system best answers the following three world view questions:

Why are we (humans) here (on earth)?

Why are things so screwed up?

How are things going to get better?

The bible, IMO, is the only religious book, and Christianity, the only religion that answers those questions with any sort of correspondence to reality. Others may disagree on this view, and they are entitled to that belief. That still does not mean, however, that thier religious world view corresponds with reality.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

BurntheShips sez,

The differences between the two Genesis accounts are plain and obvious, and yet....the original compilers had no problem with putting them next to each other. Even they had to have noticed the difference, especially when you consider that it was all hand copied at the time.

Let's say that 2 people go to a football game and sit on opposite sides of the field. After the game, these two people write short accounts of what happened. You would probably get different stories.

This would be especially true if one of them wrote with an emphasis on the sequence of events while the other didn’t think the sequence was important.

If we read their accounts, we might say that they contradicted one another, but in fact, both accounts could be accurate if taken in and of themselves.

They are just written from different perspectives.

Total cult-speak.

Dude, you need some serious deprogramming.

Dogz

• Rydor
    Rydor

Rydor, the thing about the time of Jesus' death really shocked me when I read Bart Ehrman's book. For me, this was the final nail in the coffin as far as supposed bible inerrancy. I don't know how the writing department manage to write on this subject without thinking 'WTF?'

Funny you should say that, it was the final straw for me too, and this was just two months ago... even though I've been out of the Borg for 4 years now. I never before appreciated how hard it is to change beliefs that you've held your whole life.

I also read Bart Ehrman's book, "Misquoting Jesus." Earlier this year I thought I'd try to make balanced investigation of my faith, so I read that book and Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" at the same time. Ehrman's book struck me as being the product of years of scholarly, impartial investigation. It was very informative and an enjoyable read. "The Case for Christ" however, didn't have the same ring of truth. He only interviewed scholars who were already Christian, and I just got the sense that I was reading apologetics, not the product of earnest research. I made it about three-quarters through the book and then just lost interest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit