Explaining Biblical Contradictions Away!

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I can't - don't even try anymore. Just a few to chew:

Which first? Man then beast? Or beast then man? This one is only 25 verses into the HOLY BOOK for heaven's sake!

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

The sins of the father ! Do the children pay or not?

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

How many stalls and horsemen? Hell of a difference between four thousand and forty thousand!

1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

There are thousands from which to choose - this is just a couple of them. How did I ever believe such drivel?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sorry about the fonts - they wouldn't adjust correctly.

Jeff

• unshackled
    unshackled

Come on, Jeff. Don't you know it was SATAN that put those contradictions in the bible? Right after he planted some dinosaur bones.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Most scholars , and this is for sometime now, say that there are were two genesis stories that were "woven" together into one.

The "Yahwist" genesis and the "elohim" genesis.

Its not so much contridictions per say as just a different story telling, as you can tell, Genesis 2 doesn't really have a chronology to it per say.

As for the rest, I got ask you Jeff, WHY did you ever take the bible to be inerrant?

A serious question and I am not trying to change he subject because yes, the bibel does have contridictins, but I am curious as to WHY you took it to be inerrant?

Many biblical scholars don't.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You must read with discernment and discard the portions of the Bible that are untrue.

If someone disagrees with you, tell them that they need more faith, or claim that a voice told you "it wa so", etc.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I think this explains it pretty well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Bible is a heterogenous book, an anthology. The Society recognizes this, but resists the implications.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The Bible become so much more alive for me once I accepted that it was not the Word of God.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Once the Bible becomes the "Word of God" you find yourself having to defend it as such, and it misdirects the reader from find it's actual message.

-Sab

• Ding
    Ding

The NIV says 4000 stalls in both citations, so it may have been a scribal issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit