God can't be God when there is nothing...So Man rescued him!

by Terry 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

And there YOU GO WITH ASSERTIONS! Neither of these statements is necessarily TRUE!

Is your statement necessarily true? If so, how?

For us to speculate on God having a beginning we must first conclude that God does exist AND find out his Nature AND if that nature has evidence of a beginning.

Believers in God do not speculate and seek proof. They accept what is written in a book without proof and rest on their emotional commitment to that ideal.

None of this is necessarily true.

Life requires a commitment to maintenance. That IS necessarily true.

To postulate that there will be a caregiver and eternal reward beyond death is merely hacking the problem of maintenance and not solving the problem.

(I have to go to work now! Cheers!)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Words are not "things" and have no life or existence themselves. Words are representational signifiers which point to something else.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thing

thing

3: anything that is or may become an object of thought: things of the spirit.

13: a thought or statement: I have just one thing to say to you.

15: something signified or represented, as distinguished from a word, symbol, or idea representing it.

The word "wisdom" does not float in outer space on a hyper-real plane of uber-existence as Plato would have us believe.

What a fail, on your part, Mr high and mighty, I speak not of the WORD, but what it represents. BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Believers in God do not speculate and seek proof. They accept what is written in a book without proof and rest on their emotional commitment to that ideal.

Irrelevant to what we were discussing but see you later.

Have a good day at work.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You are an obfuscating prick, I won't waste my time here arguing with you... Bye.

BTS

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Paradox is evidence of contradiction.

Not even close to true. Paradox is evidence of nothing since both the contradiction and the reality of it exist at the same time.

It's a useless argument position.

-Sab

• Terry
    Terry

You are an obfuscating prick, I won't waste my time here arguing with you... Bye.

BTS

Ahhh, here we go...evidence of the weakness of your argument.

If my ideas are bad and your ideas are good it will be the strength of merit that will win the day.

But, if your ideas are inconsistant and feckless you will have to take the game ball and go home.

P.S. This is a Discussion Group. The fact that you are on here in the first place should indicate to you that arguments aren't wasted; they are invested in a mutual understanding.

• Terry
    Terry

I said: Words are not "things" and have no life or existence themselves. Words are representational signifiers which point to something else.

You say:

15: something signified or represented, as distinguished from a word, symbol, or idea representing it.

You have successfully refuted your own argument!

Congratulations.

• Terry
    Terry
    Paradox is evidence of contradiction.

Not even close to true. Paradox is evidence of nothing since both the contradiction and the reality of it exist at the same time.

It's a useless argument position.

-Sab

You have missed the point, haven't you?

That which is true does not contradict itself nor is it dissonant with the facts.

A Paradox (which is self-contradiction) would evidence the UNtruth of its own statement.

Try again.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just an FYI:

par·a·dox

–noun 1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth. 2. a self-contradictory and false proposition. 3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature. 4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Terry, what you describe is close to what i see as the source of all. It's not that smart, or anything. As extensions of it, we tend to bring it towards consciousness, or greater consciousness. I see it as potential, a potential, the potential.The universe and all that is in it is one emenation from it.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit