A world without God? What would it be like...

by Snoozy 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Another thread got me to thinking..something I do once in a while

What if no one believed in a god . What do you think the world would be like?

Would the humans adopt a selfish attitude demanding all they could get?

Would it resort to the fittest survives?

Would they still care about each other?

Snoozy..

To me it is a scary thought.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The idea of God, whether real or not, is so intertwined within our culture and hardwired into our brains I don't think we are even capable of fathoming what a world without Him would actually be like.

-Sab

• Terry
    Terry

Contrast and compare the difference between a world without God and a world without the IDEA of God.

I think you can see the point.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We have historical examples of great good and great evil being done in the name of God and we have examples of great good and great evil being done with no notion of God.

So, what we can ask is, IF morals and our notion of right and wrong came from God and IF God never existed and IF those morals never existed, what kind of world woudl we have?

I don't know but I don't think I would like it ( unless I was at the top of the food chain).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

the idea that man would reject God and completely turn to atheism and then be so aggressive to each other without the 'love of God' is the idea we were brought up with as dubs..as a precursor to Armageddon..

In fact, it is hypothetical since it will never happen, but I think that mankind would not turn aggressive . Humanity and the love of humanity are built in to us . With few exceptions, I think we would just get along as neighbours as we do now

• sabastious
    sabastious
    We have historical examples of great good and great evil being done in the name of God and we have examples of great good and great evil being done with no notion of God.

Countless civilizations have been wiped off the map due to relgious zealotism. Do these "godless entities" have anything even remotely as sinister or grandiose?

-Sab

• pirata
    pirata

A world with Secular Humanism. What would it be like?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Tenets

Secular Humanism describes a world view with the following elements and principles: [ 3 ]

• Need to test beliefs – A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted by faith.
    • Reason, evidence, scientific method – A commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence and scientific methods of inquiry in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
    • Fulfillment, growth, creativity – A primary concern with fulfillment, growth and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
    • Search for truth – A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
    • This life – A concern for this life (as opposed to an afterlife) and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
    • Ethics – A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
    • Building a better world – A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

A Secular Humanist Declaration was issued in 1980 by The Council for Democratic and Secular Humanism (CODESH), now the Council for Secular Humanism (CSH). It lays out ten ideals: Free inquiry as opposed to censorship and imposition of belief; separation of church and state; the ideal of freedom from religious control and from jingoistic government control; ethics based on critical intelligence rather than that deduced from religious belief; moral education; religious skepticism; reason; a belief in science and technology as the best way of understanding the world; evolution; and education as the essential method of building humane, free, and democratic societies. [ 4 ]

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Countless civilizations have been wiped off the map due to relgious zealotism. Do these "godless entities" have anything even remotely as sinister or grandiose?

Dude...seriously?

Or are you being sarcastic?

• pirata
    pirata
    Countless civilizations have been wiped off the map due to relgious zealotism.

But how many of those times was religion an excuse, rather than a cause?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Dude...seriously? Or are you being sarcastic?

Well first off what non-religious entities are you referring to? Politics? (which is almost always connected to religion especially when it goes awry).

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit