Has a local needs talk been given about you?

by Jadeen 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

This was briefly mentioned in one of miseryloveselders threads, but I had the honor of a local needs talk pointed at me. Shortly before I got married to my "worldly" husband there was a talk about "marrying only in the Lord", "do not become unevenly yoked", blah blah blah.

I wasn't shocked that it was given, I was actually waiting to hear about it. I was more surprised that they waited until about a month before our wedding day to give it. Then the gossip and slander really started. I heard about this second hand, since the elders never talked to me personally.

Anyone else have a local needs directed at you? Were you actually there to hear it in person or did you hear about it later?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

My wife and I were walking to catch a boat home after work one Friday, (we lived on an island at the time). As it left later on a Friday night to accommodate shoppers, we stopped to enjoy an outdoor rock concert for about 30 mins. while we had some time. We got home an hour and a half later and learned there had been a riot just after we had left. (The Black Friday riot in Auckland for those who remember).

We told all the friends on Sunday at the meeting that we had been there and just missed the 'excitement'.

At the service meeting on Thursday, there was a local needs talk about not attending rock concerts because you'll get caught up in a riot, sure as hell.

It was given by one of the cool elders. He wasn't so cool with us after that.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

Jadeen,

It happened to me. I got married last year and I did not tell anyone. Because the congregation I attended was not very loving and had many cliques I did not feel that I owed anyone an explanation. During the same month, there was a local needs talk about "Marrying in the lord" and "Do not become unevenly yoked". I knew that it was directed to me, but no one said anything to my face. I would not have cared either way. They already know not to talk reckless ish to me!

• Woody22
    Woody22

I was a special needs talk many years ago when I left.

But more recent I was the subject at my fathers funeral, the major part of the discourse was about the prodigal son.

All non- JW's were truly disgusted as nothing was said in honor of my father. The talk was given by the CO.

Woody

• zoiks
    zoiks

Woody-

That's really cold and low of the CO. I'm sorry.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There was a brother from Cameroon who came to visit. He stayed with my parents and they convinced me to go to at least hear his talk. After the first half hour of his talk, he spent an additional five-ten minutes talking about "don't stray from Jehovah's organization. This is the true organization blah blah blah blah we must help those who are spiritually weak". I'm pretty sure the extra time spent was dedicated to me.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I'm sorry about that Woody- it is pathetic that he was so disrespectful at your dad's funeral.

• jay88
    jay88

As a witness I felt guilty even when I wasn't doing anything wrong........I was feeling guilty for future sins, I guess?

• Woody22
    Woody22

itsacult C.O. Circuit overseer

Woody

• chickpea
    chickpea

Has a local needs talk been given about you?

i sure as hell hope so! i am an OUT parent
    regarding my transgender son, very involved
    in advocacy, very public as a board member
    of a local chapter of an LGBT advocacy group......

amazingly, some JWs still bother to speak to me....
    and as an aside, i DO NOT shy away from saying
    a greeting if i DO stumble across one of the dr0nes
    in the execution of public meanderings.... they can
    shun me if they care to, but i am not subject to
    their silly little culture's aberrations regarding
    normal human interactions..... d0lts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit