Why Is There NOTHING Written In The Bible About Jesus' Early Years?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

Because the perfect, God man, Jesus, did not exist!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As I said, there is a book devoted to the exploits of the young Jesus. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas is actually quite interesting because it tackles a difficult problem....What is a powerful divine being capable of miracles supposed to be like as an immature kid? If Jesus was truly man, then he had to have had a childhood, and so that raises some questions about what such a person is like. Superman, Smallville, etc. tackles a similar theme.

• aniron
    aniron

Maybe by the time the Gospels came to be written, those who knew him on his early years were all dead.

Besides would it make any difference to anyones views if we did know?

• Satanus
    Satanus

"I tend to think most young ones were not considered as "important""

I think, that's the answer. Children and women were considered chattel. The christ kid was no different. Kinda weakens the whole jesus messiah, god the son concept, doesn't it??

S

• Ding
    Ding

Why does this weaken the concept of Jesus as the Messiah, son of God, etc.?

Moses was a major figure in the OT, of course, but the Bible gives little information about his younger years.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Because the claim is that jesus was god incarnate. God growing up from childhood, adolescence and 20's might have something of interest for the spiritual minded, no? I mean, this IS god walking around on the earth.

S

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I like the Gnostic theory that the wise men at Jesus birth would have watched over Jesus (Who paid for their exile in Egypt? Why just accept him at birth but never show interest again?) and waited until he was of age to be taken to India and the far east to learn from the great mystics. They saw him as the Messiah, so of course he needed to be taught as much ancient wisdom as possible to be a fit spiritual leader.

• tec
    tec

There is stuff written in the bible about Jesus as a child. Just no play-by-play, and why would there be? Plus, who says Jesus was a perfect child?

Isaiah 7: 14-16

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kinds you dread will be laid to waste.

Tends to imply that he had to learn to reject the wrong and choose the right, not that he was born perfect and knowing.

Tammy

• agonus
    agonus

The Gospels of the traditional canon were specifically chosen for their content (or lack thereof) to support a particular theology or worldview. As has been mentioned above, don't discount the apocryphal stuff.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The simple explanation: narrators of the Gospels weren't there to witness the story, so what little was included in Matthew and Luke is what they heard from others decades later--not recent events and their own experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit