Name Something Good About Being A Jehovah's Witness

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    The few things that I did benefit by from being a JW could have been obtained elsewhere - and for considerably less overall cost.

Precisely. Nothing good came of being a JW.

As for not being required to deal with the holidays, presents etc., I see it as a wonderful year end experience to look forward to every year. It's a privilege. I don't see other people as filth at all. Just this past week, doing some simple grocery shopping in the jam packed store I had so many small moments of pleasant interaction with people. I often initiate conversation, people 9 times out of 10 respond cheerfully, and even appreciatively. Making connection is good for us.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

There are probably two perspectives, of the born-in and of the convert.

From the convert's perspective, there has to be something Good that attracts an individual to become a Jehovah's Witness. It has got to feel good, else people wouldn't buy into the indoctrination. Having gone through the process myself over a period of two years but who was fortunate enough to escape, I know what the Something Good is. It's euphoria. I never felt more optimistic and ready for a big change in my life as I was at the time (1974-76), so being able to suspend disbelief and swallow the story line, as incredulous as it is, felt exhiliarating. Brain endorphins, I learned later - the body's own opiates. They are produced by the pituitary gland and hypothalmus and released to the brain during exercise, pain, excitement, love and orgasm and, as in this case, delusion. And just like getting off opium I crashed and burned when I realised it was all a big pile of crap. It felt really good for awhile, then really bad afterward but never as good as it feels now to have a much better founded certainty of what truth really is. Worst mistake I ever made in my life was to allow myself and my wife to be involved in that bunch.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I was just thinking about this too, I was born in.

I was also thinking about the whole Xmas thing. The way they made it sound like such a horrible ugly selfish thing, and in particular the whole notion of people being "forced" to spend money they didn't have. The resulting stress etc. But think of the conventions. It didn't matter if you couldn't afford dental work, or the kids needed new shoes they weren't getting, you WILL go to all the conventions. My family never had an actual vacation when I was a child, we were always too broke (not to mention doctors, dentists, or store bought clothes). Never missed a convention though.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

So, I'm guessing Berengaria, that it never felt too good for you being a Witness?

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I'd say, for one, that they teach you to examine "worldly" superstitions with a critical eye (e.g., black cats, walking under ladders, good luck charms, astrology, etc). Unfortunately, the worldly superstitions get replaced with JW superstitions instead. (Demonized smurf dolls, possessed garage sale items, etc.) For many though, it sets the stage for them to eventually reject the JW religion as well.

Being a JW spared me a lot of heartache and trouble. Unfortunately I've never really experienced much of life either (e.g. getting laid).

I also like not having grown up with all the grief and expense of all the holiday bullshit. Unfortunately, it leaves me isolated, lonely, and I'm usually "the odd man out". It also leaves me in a quandary over what to do when it comes to celebrating holidays with a worldly GF someday.

V665V665

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Nick, you are one perceptive dude!

The thing is, most of the good times had nothing to do with being a JW, and would probably have been more numerous had we not been. I did enjoy the conventions, because of the social aspect, and the dramas. And the crappy food.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Hey V. If I can give you some hints to help you get laid, let me know. I mean, you gotta get laid, man.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Hey V. If I can give you some hints to help you get laid, let me know. I mean, you gotta get laid, man.

*sigh* I'll just have to figure that one out for myself, I guess...

V665V665

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Check your PMs, V.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

V, I laughed my tail off at your comments....HAHA! So true! Demonized Smurf dolls! HAHA...

Thanks so much for allowing me to be here. It has been great!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit