What do you make of this - seems to be mixed message on higher education

by therevealer 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution. This reading, along with my own scientific research, convinced me that there is a Creator.

Horseshit. While there are certainly scientists, biologists and physicists who believe in a Creator, I'm pretty sure that none of them came to that conclusion from reading Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as the book is full of very selective quotations, biased opinions and ignorance.

I wouldn't say that this is a green light for JW's to seek higher education. If anything, they're trying to promote the idea that the teachings of the Craptower Society is sooooo superior that even some scientists recognize it as 'the truth' and that going to university is pointless. In reality, it is extremely rare for anyone with a PhD to convert to Dubism. University education teaches a person to think outside the box, examine the evidence from both sides of the coin, to check references of anything and everything quoted in a paper and to use sound and logical reason----all things that are not allowed in Watchtowerland.

I'm betting that "Wayne Qu" was pulled from the same pool of ficticious characters as the sister who was 'protected by angels' from a murderer while out in Serve-Us.

• Gayle
    Gayle

So ridiculous!!! As they would be of the top 5% income among JWs, and certainly no honest regret that they aren't window cleaners!

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution. This reading, along with my own scientific research, convinced me that there is a Creator

Bah! There's no mixed message here. As has been noted already, this canard is meant to say that even people with graduate degrees in biology don't believe in evolution! And they learn the errancy of their thinking through such spiritual gems as Life, particularly when compared to such laughably amateurish works as--um, let's see, "a work by Charles Darwin on evolution? Would that be, by any chance, The Origin of Species, maybe? Which is only considered to be one of the most influential scientific works ever written! Which the society doesn't even want to name!

That they would even compare those two works--Life and The Origin--on the same plain is in itself a stunning abrogation of editorial authority. Darwin's Origin is erudite, thoughtful, based on long years of careful research and--oh, yeah--been proven correct after 150 years. Life is a carnival of quote mining and deceit and, having been proven utterly wrong and a thorough embarassment to any JW with half a brain, has now been discarded after 24 years (though it may still be in print, Witnesses are now encouraged to use the new brochures released earlier this year which, I have to add, are no improvement)

I have difficulty believing anyone who's made it through the rigors of grad school would fall for the poorly written, outdated, fallacious piece of nonsense that is Life. And he's done his own "scientific research"? Nope, I think this "experience" is either a composite or heavily, and I mean, HEAVILY embroidered.

JRK: Life does have a bibliography, the insertion of which was another stunner on the part of the editorial staff, since it allows readers with brains in full operating condition to actually check out the quotes--and discover them for what they are. That's what woke this mermaid up to the "truth."

• VM44
    VM44

Hasn't this sentence appeared before in Watchtower publications?

"The Bible, however, gave Sue and me logical, satisfying answers to life's most important questions.

I underline the word "satisfying" because it is the keyword that reminded me that I have read before essentially the exact same sentence.

This makes me wonder if the person's story is as he told it, or if, more likely, it has been considerably rewritten by a Watchtower writer.

All these life stories published by The Watchtower sound like they are told by the same person!

• moshe
    moshe

They must do a letter symposium to come up with this stuff- one paragraph from one letter sent to Bethel, another one from a different letter, etc, etc--- then stitch them all together to make totally new 1st person account. Works everytime.

• VM44
    VM44

Why would anyone mention The Watchtower's publication "Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation?" along with a (nameless) "work of Charles Darwin" in the same sentence, and then make no further mention of Darwin's work? What was the point of doing that?

Again, are these the original words of the person, or an extensive rework done by a Watchtower writer?

• eric356
    eric356
    I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution.

Because when you're getting a PhD in molecular biology, the book you read on evolution is the 150 year old Origin. Wrong. (Not to take anything away from it, it's a great book). If you are going to study molecular biology at the graduate level, you've already got a biology (or maybe chemistry) undergrad, and you've already had multiple classes that cover evolution. You would not need to go back to Darwin to learn about it (not to mention the "Life" book, which was written by semi-functional idiots.) This story is totally BS.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Anytime my Dad's JW friends call that he hasn't seen in a while and they ask him if I've decided to become a JW his response to them is

"Well, she went to College."

Which means, those who acquire higher knowledge don't become JWs. Hmmm.... I wonder why.

• VM44
    VM44

I found online mention of a "Wayne Qu" that works at the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Could it be the same person?

• designs
    designs

Depressed people are attracted to pie in the sky hopes. Here and now and one lifetime is what you get, make the most of it. Make a difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit