What do you make of this - seems to be mixed message on higher education

by therevealer 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• therevealer
    therevealer

Awake! February 2011 page 21

SOMETHING BETTER THAN GOLD Wayne Qu worked as an environmental scientist for the Academy of Sciences in China. To advance his career, he and his wife, Sue, went to Europe in the 1990's, where Wayne pursued higher education. While there, the couple met Jehovah's Witnesses and discussed the Bible with them. In 2000, Wayne and Sue moved to Australia, where both continued their secular studies-Sue in molecular biology. They also resumed their Bible study. Wayne explains: "We had spent decades getting advanced university degrees. Yet, I would say to myself: 'In the end, we all grow old, get sick, and die. Is that the purpose of life?' It all seemed to be in vain. The Bible, however, gave Sue and me logical, satisfying answers to life's most important questions. "Our study of the Bible also made us examine a concept we had never considered before -the existence of a Creator. I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution. This reading, along with my own scientific research, convinced me that there is a Creator. Sue came to the same conclusion. "Another thing that convinced us that there is a God is the power of the Bible to change lives for the better. Indeed, this amazing book has given us not only a hope for the future but also genuine friends and a stronger marriage. Sue and I were baptized in 2005, glad that we had found something of much greater value than higher education and 'gold that perishes.'"-1 Peter 1:7.

• Ding
    Ding

I see your point, but I think the message it's supposed to convey is, "When Ph.D. scientists study with JWs, they see how superior the WT message is to what they've got and get baptized. So don't waste your time on science."

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Ding, spot on.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I call bullshit. No person with advanced degree in molecular biology would read just one rag published by some highschool dropouts and simply say "There must be a creator"

Sorry, try again you morons....

• unshackled
    unshackled

Agreed Yan Bibiyan. Although not impossible but highly unlikely someone with that education would read the 80s Evolution or Creation book and accept it as fact. It is complete BS. The number of biologists that accept the fact of evolution is around the 99% area. There certainly are some that accept evolution and also believe in a god of some sort, but I'd be amazed if they take the bible literally or even believe it was written by a god. Let alone accept the drivel in the Evolution/Creation book.

I question most of their "real life examples". They're always throwing out stuff like "a young man named Thomas was feeling lost in life, until Jehovah Witnesses knocked on his door. He is now a regular pioneer!" Most of it is pure fiction...or rather, pure propaganda.

IF it is a real life example, it would be because the person was dumb as a stump.

• JRK
    JRK

Any graduate student would refer to the works cited page . . . oops, there is none in WT publications.

JK

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

No it's not a mixed message on education. If anything they're saying that these two highly educated people weren't happy and fulfilled with their worldly knowledge and careers, and that they were saved by the org, cause now there life has real meaning. Note the comment about having spent decades getting their degrees but still missing something. I think the JW reading it is supposed to think "those fools wasted all this time and money getting degrees and they still didnt have 'accurate knowledge'." So your run of the mill uneducated JW is going to think he/she is ahead of the game since he didn't "waste" time getting fancy book learnin's. According to the WT, the only knowledge that matters is bible knowledge, and we all know haughty JWs that think they are better than worldly people because they "know" the bible.

I don't believe that account for a minute. The WT is depending on the flock being so uneducated that they could get away with such a tall tale. Scientists who of course utilize the "scientific method" could actually be converted into a religion that demands that you swallow all information without questioning, that consistently uses faulty logic that even a person of average intelligence can spot? Give me a break!

• therevealer
    therevealer

What about this comment? I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution

• Scully
    Scully

I read the Witnesses' publication Life-How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? as well as a work by Charles Darwin on evolution. This reading, along with my own scientific research, convinced me that there is a Creator.

Wow, Richard Dawkins read Life - How did it get here? and wasn't convinced that there is a Creator, in fact, he did a great job of cutting through its logical fallacies in The God Delusion.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Are Sue and Wayne related to Andre?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit