CO visit soon. Haven't been to meetings for a few weeks.

by FifthOfNovember 21 Replies latest jw friends

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

Don't worry, I never really had a desire to get baptized. I was having a Bible study once and the conductor asked me where I saw myself spiritually in 1 year, 3 years, and 10 years. By this time I knew I would quit by the time I got to college. So I put down some simple short term goals for one year, baptism at 3, and MS or something at 10. He was shocked that I was putting baptism off for so long and questioned me on why I was waiting so long.

He asked me if I believed this was God's organization, if there was anything else I'd rather be doing, if so where would I go if I wasn't a JW. Every fiber of my being wanted to just tell the truth and get it over with but I was a coward and lied. I decided I'd keep going to meetings until college, but luckily I've stopped before that and don't really have any intention on going back.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This thread makes me wonder how many more young witnesses there are like FifthofNovember - just waiting until they are old enough to be independent and get free of the whole mess.

I agree with the others - just keep away from it all and sooner or later they will forget about you. As was said, many who are burdened with a lot of JW family ties (and facing a committee action because they were baptised as young kids) would give their eye teeth to be in your shoes.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

KEEP YOURSELF UNBAPTIZED!!!!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Ask yourself, what will I lose if I quit going to the meetings and "field service"?

Will I lose friends?

Will I lose family?

Will I lose money or other financial circumstances?

You aren't baptized which is a big plus....can I assume that you are not an unbaptized publisher?

Find new friends, get close to your non-jw family.

Realize the WTS may try to get you back but it won't last long; just screen your calls and drop in visits to your home.

Blondie

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

You might get a phone call to remind you of the CO visit, but you can let them leave a message and not answer. They only started hounding me after I missed a few months of meetings, but I'm baptized. I've never been happier, despite the fear I will get DF'd and ruin my relationship with my husband and inlaws. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

If possible, I would unlist your phone number, and then avoid answering the door and they should leave you alone. If they catch you outside on the weekend, just let them know you're busy and tell them to have a good day. They don't have anything on you.

Have fun in college!

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

Here's my story if this helps anyone or if anyone is curious.

In elementary school my cousin, who was also very young, started having a Bible study. It looked fun so I asked for one too. Started studying, and eventually became an unbaptized publisher (while still in elementary school). I had no close relatives that went to the meetings except my cousin, grandmother (who passed away 6 years ago), and great aunt. I would often get rides to the meeting from someone in the hall. I regularly attended meetings and field service, commented, and eventually began giving Bible readings, and then #4 (now #3) talks. People in my own hall though I was baptized sometimes. (see "Stories Thread!" for a funny story regarding that)

I guess I have been living a double life for most of my life because I have "worldly" friends, play M rated video games, watch R-rated movies, swear, party sometimes, somewhat celebrate holidays and birthdays, etc. I'm pretty much a normal teenager outside of the Kingdom Hall. My sophomore year of high school I began having doubts about god and by the beginning of my senior year I considered myself atheist. I haven't told anyone yet, not even my "worldly" friends. My plan of escape from the JW's was college but I stopped going to the meetings about a month ago so I guess I started early.

I know most people have it way harder than me and I'm sure they wonder what I'm so concerned about since I'm not baptized and don't really have anything to lose. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who are baptized with all their family in the truth. I have it extremely easy compared to most of you but out of my own life experience this is one of the hardest things I've done.

• eric356
    eric356

Ignore and avoid. It's the best strategy, especially in your situation. Never go back. Leaving cold makes it less likely that people will hassle you, as opposed to fading slowly, where they might just think you are "weak" or "depressed" and need "encouraging". Also, it means you don't have to lie anymore.

• pirata
    pirata

Lots of "spiritually weak" ones show up for the meeting on the CO visit and not much else.

Tell the TMS overseer you are sorry but won't be ablet to take your assignment that night.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who are baptized with all their family in the truth. I have it extremely easy compared to most of you but out of my own life experience this is one of the hardest things I've done.

Yeah you're right. Reading peoples stories here on JWN, on how they have lost wives/husbands/children/grandchildren etc.. to this cult is heart breaking. You are very fortunate with your situation but just because you don't have as much to lose, doesn't mean it's not hard on you. As you're young, you'll learn so much from this experience. A great life lesson to have for the future. I envy you, your situation and learning about cults from a young age.

All the best 5thNov Let us know how you go . . .

3Mozzies

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I know most people have it way harder than me and I'm sure they wonder what I'm so concerned about since I'm not baptized and don't really have anything to lose. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who are baptized with all their family in the truth. I have it extremely easy compared to most of you but out of my own life experience this is one of the hardest things I've done.

You will find that most people here "get it." We know the power of the religion that provides instant friends and implants fears. You even called it "the truth" in the statement above. See how hard it is to stop doing that?

I wasn't so much "wondering" what's stopping you from walking away as I was helping with a more-than-gentle nudge.

Tons of us realized we should have just walked away long before we did. If we were nudged just so, maybe we would have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit