Pre-Thanksgiving snow - here we go

by Gregor 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

just a trace but a good indicator of what kind of El Nina winter we are in for. High of 24 here today, in the teens tonight. I will be making Salmon chowder today. Bought a couple of new books* yesterday and wifey has stockpiled enough yarn to crochet hats for the whole fam.

* the new Michael Connelly and the Ken Follett book, Fall of Giants. Finished the Keith Richards autobio. "Life". If anyone would like to have it PM a mailing address and I will send it as an early Xmas gift. It is booger-free.

• asilentone
    asilentone

(never mind)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Oh boy Gregor you sound as if you and the wife are set

expected low to mid 70's here in North Carolina to beautiful

to waste thinkin' bout Armegeddon . And thanks for offering

a booger- free book, but I have two books here now I need

to complete before they are due back to the Library

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Such a small amount out there. Makes me laugh that they cancelled school today. They must have all wanted to start Thanksgiving break early. I guess the kids and I will be baking today. That way we can have yummy food and keep the house warm at the same time.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm still working my way through Keef's book. Got sidetracked for a couple of weeks and didn't read any. Now I'm back in it and getting back into it...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Seattle is benefitting from this year's El Ninja.

Picture, if you will, the hilly terrain of San Francisco, glazed like a cop's fourth donut. That's Seattle today.

We're hoping that our warm (relatively) rains will return tomorrow and melt all this crap.

It's not even safe to get out of bed!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Picture, if you will, the hilly terrain of San Francisco, glazed like a cop's fourth donut. That's Seattle today.

That's not good, I wouldn't get out of bed either. No such luck for me (not that I like staying in bed unless I'm sick). My kids have been out of school since last Friday.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I grew up in upstate New York, a couple of feet of snow and twenty below is not uncommon. But compared to Seattle the place is flat as pancake. I think Cooperstown (pop ~ 2500) had as many snowplows as all of Seattle. We just aren't equipped for it here.

And people here have NO CLUE how to drive in snow. Their response to everything is too stomp on the brake or the gas. The news this morning showed some guy spinning all over the place at two miles an hour, and his tach most of been redlined. Folks, you go faster if you slow down!

A few years ago when I was living in a rural area east of Seattle I was driving along at about 35 on a sheet of compact snow and ice. (speed limit on this road is 55). This big SUV goes flying past me, driver waving angrily and my pokey pace. About two hundred yards up the road turns. The SUV doesn't. I stopped to see if she was OK and she says "I don't know what happened, I'm in 4 wheel drive."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A few years ago when I was living in a rural area east of Seattle I was driving along at about 35 on a sheet of compact snow and ice. (speed limit on this road is 55). This big SUV goes flying past me, driver waving angrily and my pokey pace. About two hundred yards up the road turns. The SUV doesn't. I stopped to see if she was OK and she says "I don't know what happened, I'm in 4 wheel drive."

Trust me, you'll see that kind of behavior in areas where people should know better. I lived for seven years in Indiana, folks drive stupid in the snow there too.

• cheerios
    cheerios

we have had snow for almost a month now - at times quite heavy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit