Does the WTS state that Dinosaurs were vegetarian?

by God_Delusion 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Howdy,

I recently watched the Jurassic Park trilogy (give the third one a miss if you haven't watched it) and memories of an Awake! or Watchtower magazine of Dinosaurs being vegetarian flashed before my eyes. I am pretty sure the magazine was released at around the time of either the first or second Jurassic Park films and the front cover displayed dinosaurs eating plants (that last part may be my mind playing tricks on me).

I also remember being told that Jehovah had created dinosaurs to be vegetarian, and that included the T-Rex being the most ferocious veggie king out there.

I could never quite grasp why Jehovah would have created what looked to have been (and has scientifically been proven to be) an apex predator, only to allow it to munch on grass and the tops of trees?

If anyone else remembers the article that I can remember, please let me know. Also, if you have any quotes from the WTS in relation to the dinosaurs diet, please jot them down in your comments.

Kind regards,
    Carlos x

• bohm
    bohm

fossils of dinosauers with other dinosauers IN THEIR STOMACH have been found. That put some pretty interesting constraints on how stuff went down in the garden of eden; for example, there is a large periode after the fall where no mammals died (no mammal fossils!) but the fall had occured and dinosauers was dying left and right.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't remember ever actually reading this in the WT publications, but it would be implied by their notion of animals (pre-flood) being vegatarian and that they would be vegatarian in the paradise new system.

JW literature is really pretty vague on the dinosaurs, as any scientific facts about them totally destroy their notions of a less than 50,000 year creation of all living things. Maybe that is changing if they are really dropping the 7,000 year long creative day fantasy.

At least they have not gone so far as one fundy I know here at work who says they never existed, and that the bones were put there by Satan to encourage godless evolutionists. The little twerp circuit overseer Bennet gave us a public talk and said the dinosaurs were put here to become petroluem and were removed before Adam and Eve were created - squashed down into crude oil. I called him on it and he offered the "proof" that Sinclair had a brontosaurus on their advertising logos. I believe that was during the visit when I resigned as an elder and quit going to the weekly meetings.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Awake 1990 2/8 9-10 What Happened to the Dinosaurs?

“PALAEONTOLOGY is the study of fossils, and fossils are the remains of life from past ages.” But as one paleontologist said, it is “a highly speculative and opinionated science.” This is evident regarding dinosaurs. Listing some speculations as to what happened to them, Princeton scientist G. L. Jepson stated:

“Authors with varying competence have suggested that dinosaurs disappeared because the climate deteriorated . . . or that the diet did. . . . Other writers have put the blame on disease, parasites, . . . changes in the pressure or composition of the atmosphere, poison gases, volcanic dust, excessive oxygen from plants, meteorites, comets, gene pool drainage by little mammalian egg-eaters, . . . cosmic radiation, shift of Earth’s rotational poles, floods, continental drift, . . . drainage of swamp and lake environments, sunspots.”—TheRiddleoftheDinosaur.

It is apparent from such speculations that scientists are not able, with any certainty, to answer the question: What happened to the dinosaurs?

When the dinosaurs had fulfilled their purpose, God ended their life. But the Bible is silent on how he did that or when. We can be sure that dinosaurs were created by Jehovah for a purpose, even if we do not fully understand that purpose at this time. They were no mistake, no product of evolution. That they suddenly appear in the fossil record unconnected to any fossil ancestors, and also disappear without leaving connecting fossil links, is evidence against the view that such animals gradually evolved over millions of years of time. Thus, the fossil record does not support the evolution theory. Instead, it harmonizes with the Bible’s view of creative acts of God. [/quote]

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Found this in the- June 15, 1901, The Watch Tower, page 193), or Reprint 2830

The fact that for beast and for fowl the Lord originally provided the same vegetarian diet, is in perfect accord with some of the prophetic statements which seem to imply that under the new conditions of the Kingdom even the lower animals will return to vegetable diet, when "The lion shall eat grass like the ox," and when "Nothing shall hurt or destroy in all God's holy mountain [kingdom]." ( Isa. 11:6 ,7; 65:25.) Thus we learn that the animals which at present are carnivorous (flesh-eaters) are not now in their original condition, but have been sharers with mankind in the results of the catastrophe which came upon our earth in the flood; likewise that they will be sharers with man, their king, in the great uplift which will come to him and to all nature when God's Kingdom, in the hands of the Sons of God, shall be established, and shall bless the groaning creation.-- Rom. 8:19-22 .

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

*** g 9/06 p. 30 Watching the World ***

“Dinosaurs Ate Grass”

“It’s a big surprise for scientists” to discover that “dinosaurs ate grass,” says an Associated Press report. The discovery was made when fossilized sauropod dung found in India was analyzed. Why the surprise? It was thought that “grasses didn’t emerge until long after the dinosaurs died off,” explains the report. It was also believed that sauropods “didn’t have the special kind of teeth needed to grind up abrasive blades.” Paleobotanist Caroline Stromberg, leader of the team that made the discovery, says: “Most people would not have fathomed that [sauropods] would eat grasses.”

• james_woods
    james_woods
    the animals which at present are carnivorous (flesh-eaters) are not now in their original condition

Sheer and total idiocy. The lamprey eel, the mosquito, poisonous snakes, parasite worms - "are not now in their original condition"???

• blondie
    blondie

Awake! answered this point in a reply to a letter from a reader in the January 8, 1983 issue, which reply said with reference to Genesis 1:29, 30:

This does not mean that vegetation was merely the ultimate basis for food supply through a chain of animal life. Obviously it was not the case with humans because later when they were to begin to get some nourishment from animal flesh they had to be given a special concession. Further, during the Flood of Noah’s day, eight humans and ‘flying creatures and all moving animals of the ground’ were obliged to live on vegetable matter exclusively for more than a year. And the fact that Isaiah 11:6-9 and 65:25 specifically state that former predators will be at peace with other animals, and the lion will eat straw like the bull, would seem to confirm that animals and humans were meant to be vegetation eaters.

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/science/biology-and-the-watchtower-society.html

A picture of a lion eating straw in WT publication:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20040222a/article_03.htm

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So, if the circle of life is interrupted with no predatory animals at the top of the food chain, how exactly is their going to be population control in the animal kingdom ??

• bohm
    bohm

ps: flesh-eating plants!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit