As Far as JW's and Thanksgiving go...

by OnTheWayOut 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

My family avoided all and any thing that could be associated with Thanksgiving. From not eating turkey or ham to not putting out any decoration that could be confused as a thanksgiving decoration. We avoided all family functions, not even gathering our own immediate families together. We were shut out from the world for the weekend...except for sports on TV and JW activities.

My uber-dub mom will never change her stance on this. She refuses now to do anything on the holiday's except sit at home and retreat from the world. Dad just goes along with the program.

My wife's JW mom has, over time, softened up on Thanksgiving, if none of the others. She has actually bemoaned the fact that all her kids and her grandkids and great grandkids don't come visit over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. And she actually blames herself. She stated that she raised her family to not care anything about holidays or gathering over a holiday so she shouldn't be upset when none of them actually care anything about gathering together on a holiday weekend. Of course, it was laden with guilt, the way she said it, but I was impressed that she realized what happens when you don't instill traditions in your family.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Personally, I think all of the holidays are important. Being raised in a witness environment I know all the bull crap that is attributed to the holidays, including the attempt to say that they are "pagan" etc,,,, However my entire witness family were hypocrites that hated each other.

We decided to start our own tradition of embracing the holidays in all thier glory (just our kids and us) and everyone else can go rot in hell as far as I am concerned. We really love the tradition of the family meal with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I now love christmas music (I am deprogramed) as it is a representation of family, love, hope and reflection.

I feel so sorry for all of you trapped in a controlling mind cult, but it is a choice that you make. I only hope you can find the strength with in yourself one day to look outside of the fishbowl and ask the really, really important questions objectively. There is a great and wonderful and real world outside, one worth sharing with your loved ones.

I have an open invitation to any dubbers to stop by my house when the world starts to end and give me the "I told you so" speech. I am waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting. By the way, I and mine keep living and living and living. I know that drives the dubbers crazy, since they are so anxious to see all humanity exterminated by "their God". My God and me are doing just fine.

Happy Holidays!

• minimus
    minimus

It's funny. It's the only "holiday" we ever celebrated with all the fixings. To many JWs it's just another meal. wink wink.

• james_woods
    james_woods

One thing that always seemed rather ironic to me about Thanksgiving - is this: It is said that it was invented by the Puritans, as a sort of bible-like "christian love feast".

Witnesses claim that from the days of the apostles all the way to Russell, there were small groups of real christians all through history. Let me ask - at the time of the Puritans, who would have been more like true christians? The Puritans rejected Catholicism, including rejecting Christmas as pagan, and were persecuted for their strict beliefs.

So, if anything, this would be the ONLY modern holiday that the Witnesses could theoretically accept - and yet they do not.

It is further ironic that JWs today claim to not exactly know what a biblical "christian love feast" really is, and to my knowledge have never attempted to keep this concept alive by staging anything like one. They have even removed food service from the conventions, as a matter of fact.

I think they are just stick-in-the-mud control freaks and cannot stand seeing anybody have a good time.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

@ james_woods: "I think they are just stick-in-the-mud control freaks and cannot stand seeing anybody have a good time."

I think you're onto something! I often wonder what would be said should a bunch of young Bethelites start celebrating Festivus on December 23rd in their rooms...having Festivus poles, "the Airing of Grievances", "Feats of Strength", etc.

I can only imagine the scriptural references telling us why it's wrong: sacred poles are bad, we should hold our tongues, wrestling the head of the house shows disrespect toward the family arrangement and thereby disrespect toward Jesus as head of the congregation.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't hijack the thread, but whoever it is on this forum who writes parody QFR's....I'd love to see him/her write one up as to why it would be improper for Christians to observe Festivus.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The WTS manipulates the R&F. They don't know what to think of Thanksgiving. Geez. If it ain't for the Pilgrims, there would be no religious freedom for the WTS to manipulate the R&F.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I am going all out this year with 18 courses and 19 people. I am even pulling out my china and silver. I want my 80 year old hard core JW parents to come so badly.

My father gave me the whole JW song and dance spiel this morning of why it is wrong. I told him "I have so much to be thankful for this year. This is the only day all year that we can get together with all the siblings, nieces, nephews and very good friends. All the other holidays, someone is always out of town. This is the first time we will all be together since my brother's memorial. Please let's not wait until the next funeral to be together."

YEE HAAAAAA!!! They are coming!! I am so HAPPY!!! I love it when I can cut through the JW BS!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Magwitch, that is awesome. Strength to you in this, may your meal come out great.

• carla
    carla

Dear jah, thank you so much for this non-Thanksgiving turkey, non- Thanksgiving cranberries and all the non-Thanksgiving fixings. Thank you so much more that we are not like those evil fellows over there and around us who get together and have Thanksgiving turkey, cranberries and all the fixings. We are also thankful that we do not have to eat with such evil people like our relatives who by their own choosing have decided to have us shun them now and forever, amen.

• carla
    carla

I forgot one for those with ubm's who are 'forced' to 'celebrate' this evil of days- Dear jah, I am so very sorry to be sitting here with such worldly people eating this Thanksgiving meal. These worldy people who claim to give thanks today and other days, you & I know they don't really mean it. If I had my druthers I would not be partaking in this day where all our relatives are here laughing, reminiscing and saying what they call 'grace'. I would much rather be with my 'brothers' who are not celebrating this evil holiday and are merely eating a turkey, potatoes, and whatnot, possibly a laugh or two throughout the day and much reminiscing of great conventions gone by. My spouse is an unbeliever and try as I might I have not been successful in winning them over without a word. They seem to always have a 'word' in response when I do attempt to give witness about the good news of 99% of the population being destroyed. I don't understand them sometimes. Give me strength to always serve the men in NY. In the governing bodies names (whoever they are), amen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit