Silentlambs-abuse

by Venice 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• waiting
    waiting

MSNBC Paducah, Ky. http://www.hourglass2.org/wwwboard/hourglass2board.frames.alt.html

Station Home Page & More Local Information

Jehovah’s Witness pastor charges church covers up child sex abuse

A man who just resigned as a pastor in the Jehovah’s Witnesses faith charges the church has a code of silence that protects child molesters. The denomination, officially called the Watchtower Bible Tract Society, responded saying it'd elders report child abuse where laws require it.

William Bowen says he resigned Sunday as presiding overseer, the Witnesses’ term for a pastor, at the Draffenville congregation. Bowen says exposing the policy of silence is his gift to children of Jehovah’s Witness families. Another Jehovah’s Witness pastor declined to talk about policies and practices. He referred questions to Watchtower’s headquarters in New York City. William Bowen says his openness could lead to his being “disfellowshipped,” the group’s term for ex-communication. Investigators in two area police agencies knew nothing of Jehovah’s Witnesses holding out information about child sexual abuse. Bowen says police say that because they never find out what’s in the elders’ confidential files. He said, “I’m standing here because my conscience will no longer permit me to allow this policy not to be exposed to the public.”

Bowen was overseer at Draffenville, Kentucky’s Kingdom Hall, the name given to all Witness churches. The group is officially called the Watchtower Bible Tract Society.

Bowen read an article from the Watchtower, one of the group’s publications, outlining what elders are to do when a child molester confesses to them. “The first priority is to give loving comfort and to help him recover.” Bowden snapped, “not one word is said in this entire article about going to authorities.

Watchtower issued a statement saying elders comply with applicable child abuse reporting laws, adding “We do not condone the actions of those who exploit children by this terrible crime. And such persons are disfellowshipped from the congregation.” Bowen responds that he has heard child molesters confess. He says elders only notified Watchtower’s New York legal office. "The function of Watchtower legal(department) is not to help the victim,” the ex-pastor said. “The function of Watchtower legal is to protect Watchtower from criminal prosecution for not following state and county laws.”

Bowden says elders follow an old testament rule that two accusers must step forward to back up any accusation. Bowden says his criticism could end his 40 years as a Jehovah’s Witness in good standing. He says one elder broke the code by anonymously reporting a child abuser.

End of article, bold added

Edited by - waiting on 6 January 2001 20:18:29

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

You reckon this will ever hit the evening news?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    You reckon this will ever hit the evening news?

I think that if enough elders and victims begin speaking out, it will definitely be newsworthy....especially if there are charges brought and lawsuits entered.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

An absolutely facinating situation. My hats off to "Silent Lambs" for taking a stand against this policy.

This individual seems very well informed how the "game" works and it will be interesting to watch how he plays his cards against the WTBS. If he walks carefully, I don't know how they could disfellowship this brother without harming their reputation even further.

Its such a shame that the WTBS cares more about its public image and legal interests than its members. And the only way to force change is to play both these angles.

The difficult situation for the WTBS is if they disfellowship this person he will be a martyr and the WTBS will come off looking horribly. If they allow him to remain a member, they will only encourage more people to speak out against them.

I think their best option is to say "we were wrong" and then rework the present policy to be socially, morally and ethically acceptable.

Again, I think this brother's courage is commendable and I don't believe their is a more honorable cause to take on than protecting the health and safety of children.

Path

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Maybe things are going to get interesting. Check out this link here [url] http://www.cyberpass.net/~h2o/wwwboard/messages/310784.html[/url]

Perhaps change is in the air. It would be nice to see something done with this and the blood issue.

Path

• nelly136
    nelly136

well it would be interesting to see how many they have on their books as known offenders and the amount compared to how many cases theyve actually reported to the authorities (and the amount of cases that theyve dealt with *in house*), those where theyre required to by law and those where theyre not required to by law,
    further along the thread....
    all I could see from the mailing was that it was not a good of the child motivation that was prompting this action but to save funds from being distracted from the kingdom work by legal retribution,
    was it my imagination or was it saying that its ok to appoint as long as enough times past to negate any future prosecution?
    or was I reading something that wasnt there?
    nelly

• mark menser
    mark menser

This is my first post and I'm not sure if its in the right place.

I have been lurking around and following this topic here and on h20.

I don't think that the WTS willingly harbours abusers. The key point is that they think they are a theocracy and that Jehova will put everything right in the long run i.e. he will eventually "uncover" wickedness in "his" org. That leads to complacency on the part of those in charge e.g. elders. If they are sincere they will perhaps realize what is really going on but will "faithfully" stick to all "bible based" procedures (2 witnesses or victim is silenced). Their conscience may let them get away with it because they think:

1. they are following the directives of Jehovas org
    2. Jehova sees what is going on and will put things right in the end
    3. there is always the danger of bringing "unrest" in to the congregation if the matter is not kept quiet which could stumble others

Even if the elders are not complacent and deeply troubled by what is going on their hands are tied by WTS procedure. I have been involved in a case (not child abuse) where it was absolutely and shockingly obvious what was going on and everyone involved knew it but the offender knew the rules of the game (just deny everything or better still refuse to talk to anyone) and got away with it (for a while). The elders though most of them seemed sincere just said there is nothing that can be done, keep quiet, pray to jehovah and do more study and more field service (paraphrasing) and eventually Jehova will see to justice if indeed anyone has done anything wrong. In my case the pain was hard to bear. I would hate to think what it would be like for the victim of child abuse and their parent(s).

Silentlambs is to be commended for his stand.

Mark Menser

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Mark,

Nice to meet you, glad you decided to post. I've been following this thread, and the related ones also, at H20. This is an incredibly hard situation for the WTBTS, the victim & family, and, I suppose, the rapist.

But the real loser is the victim, then their family, then the WTBTS, then the rapist. Seems like the rapist is on top of the situation no matter how it's viewed. Just doesn't seem fair to usually end up this way.

But one thing I firmly believe, being a victim and mother of a victim, a rapist does not want publicity. So, therefore, helping him keep his dirty secrets will not help the victim. It helps the WTBTS Public Relations, but it does not help the victim.

I think the victim should be the primary one helped. Arguments will go on as long as rapings on how to accomplish this help - but secrecy does not help the victim.

Welcome here, and please come back.

waiting

• Venice
    Venice

Here's a post from a CO! He's breaking some things lose too!!!

WOW!!

http://www.hourglass2.org/wwwboard/messages/310784.htmlPosted by circuitservant [circuitservant] on January 07, 2001 at 00:45:32 {cQ0ilBMUykr.Eq9dlGNYbaeiGdnjag}:

I am unable to sleep due to a troubled mind. This is my first post on H2O and I must state my reason as to why. I have been a lurker for a long time to kind of keep up with what both sides were thinking. I felt it gave me a feel as to what was going on in the real world. You see I am currently serving as a CO in the western United States. I have tried to maintain a wait on Jehovah attitude and wait for the WTBS to make meaningful changes for the flock. I have been gravely disappointed by the out of touch attitude manifested by home office. When I recently came across the post by silentlambs, it helped me to realize that one person can make a difference. I admire his courageous stand for principle and doing the right thing. I must admit that I to have come to know many cases where the WTBS forces we who Shepard to make decisions that protect WTBS interests over and above the needs of the flock. I can no longer stomach a wait on Jehovah approach and let children be harmed. So I am going to do something about it. I have secretly provided silentlambs with all the documentation he will need to prove in writing how WTBS has purposely developed a stance that causes child molesters to have protection of the congregation. But then I asked myself why just give these materials to one person? Everyone should know what to expect if faced with the tragedy of there children being molested. As my time is limited this is what I plan to do as quickly as I can. Each Sunday and Monday I will post Body Of Elders letters pertaining to child molestation until all are available for the world to know. This is something I can do that I feel will help wake the WTBS up and help them to realize it is over. Children must be protected. Please do not e-mail the address above as I will not answer. I must stay silent so as not to jeopardize my identity. I would encourage others who have positions such as myself to stand up and do what you can to make a meaningful change that will help so many.

• mommy
    mommy

My heart want to be excited about this.
    Almost like we are SCREAMING on the top of our lungs. "THIS IS THE WRONG RELIGION!!!"
    But for our loved ones in this org, they will never see.
    I wonder how much I was blocked from, as a JW.
    mommy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit