Went to a strange funeral today

by startingover 17 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

Went to a funeral today for a lady that has not been associated with the JW's for many years, and her husband has probably just been on the fringe of association, their children have been out for a long time. So they had the funeral at a funeral home, the place was full of family, JW's and other friends. In the newspaper obituary they referred to it as a Celebration of Life. I honestly did not know what to expect, but I figured since she had been out for so long the JW thing would probably be on the back burner.

The talk was given by a JW elder, but he did not follow any JW outline. He talked mostly about the woman and her family and her life from a manuscript the family had given him. There were a couple of scriptures at the end, one mentioning the resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous, and along with the scripture he said that those who accept god are the righteous, and those who do not are the unrighteous, but that everyone gets a resurrection. Interesting. Then he read a scripture from the prophet Job (I never heard of him referred to as a prophet), said a short JW prayer and then invited the audience to the families home. He ended it by saying "God bless you". I thought WTF! Since when is "god bless you" in the JW vocabulary?

It was a wierd experince, even more so at the reception where there was a mixture of family, long time JW's, DF'd people and faded JW's with goatees. I've been to a funeral like this once before, but the god bless you comment really caught my attention.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I wonder if he was an elder gone rogue. (smile)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds wierd, alright. I give the elder credit for bending as far as he did.

S

• jam
    jam

startingover; Are you sure about this? Yes it was a strange funeral for A JW.

I guess things have change . As A one time Elder we use the borg. outline for

every occasion. The soul purpose to give A witness, you no JW,s will not

miss A opportunity to witness. And to say God Bless , all my years I have never.

The key here is it wasn,t at the KH, so maybe that,s why it was strange.

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

It used to be that as long as the elder is not speaking IN the Kingdom Hall, then he doesn't have to follow an outline.

I guess that's still the case?

MNC

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I agree, it could be an elder who has left mentally, spiritually and in his heart, but is still acting as an elder.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

It sounds interesting. The brother who did my grandma's funeral at the kh did a personal talk including experiences about my grandma provided by family. A "worldly" friend said to me after told me "ooh, he preached a good funeral." It's possible for a JW to give a good funeral talk. I don;t know about the "prophet of Job" or "god bless you." If anything as a good JW he should have said "may Jehovah bless you" or something.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I've been to one very similar.

Drifted JWs, not DF or DA. They can be 'out' for decades, but still under the influence.

Elders will use any invite as an excuse for another recruitment drive.

"God Bless" was probably used to convey the idea that their high control cult is harmless and 'normal' to give possible recruits a false sense of security.

• startingover
    startingover

I've known the people involved in this for quite a while. I think the elder, who knows the husband well, was not quite sure how to handle the situation. He seemed a little uneasy about things and messed up big time reading the scripture from Job (couldn't find the exact verse in his notes after he drew attention to the words of the "prophet" Job). He came across as very unprepared as he messed up naming the family (he was reminded at the end of the talk by a daughter before his prayer) and stumbled through the eulogy prepared by the family as if he had never seen it before.

It was definitely an unusual situation, which I can understand. But the "god bless you" comment really stunned me. There was really no need for him to say that. Of course, it also stunned me when the theme of the DC a few years ago was "Follow the Christ" and also when I walked into a recently remodeled KH less than a year ago and was faced with a big picture of Jesus with his outstreched hand in the entryway. Having been a JW since my birth more than half a century ago these things catch my attention, they just aren't things JW's do.

• jam
    jam

picture of Jesus with outstreched hands, is this A joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit