Is the World really getting worse?

by Nickolas 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

I grew up hearing how bad the world was it was the early 70's and free love, living together was kicking into gear. I remember the war protesters, and all I heard from the meetings was I would not grow up get married and such. Life could not get any worse then it was. But it has gotten worse in some way and way better in other ways.

I think people are kinder and more thoughtful then when I was a kid in many ways.

The medical world is making huge advancements. My uncle had a major heart attack in the mid 70 he was in his 50's at the time. All they could do then was to open his veins and to keep doing it every time they collapsed. He had to stop working which caused him to go into a huge depression as he was a very hard worker. His life as he knew it was over. My husband had the same kind of heart attack in 2005 they did a stent and he went back to work with in a week he had a second heart attack and they did another stent and so far he is doing OK.

I think it is all just a scare tactic to keep us afraid of the world and to trust only the religion. It kept me locked in for a huge part of my life sadly.

I think the blood issue speaks for itself in how they have deceived us and how many have lost their lives over something it.

LITS

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

More people live to ripe old age than ever before.

If pestilence food shortage and famine are so bad they are a sign of the end why is the world population bigger than at any other time in history?

The Witchtower twists everything to scare people.

Once a fear has been planted in their mind they are easy pickings.

HB

• life is to short
    life is to short

Sorry I mean how many have lost their lives over following something that they did not truly understand.

Sorry I sent it to soon.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

every generation through out time as belived that they are at the end of the world, because there generation is so terrible.

of course the world seems worse now, the world as a massive population, we have world wide media etc etc

but when you look at the modern world the advances in medicine, years ago in victorian england over 50% of children didnt make it past five years old.

i remember growing up in a home where black mold creeped across the ceiling, with an outside toilet and a tin bath, who lives like that now in the western world. (not that i'm complaining i had a great childhood)

of course there are more murders, more tradgeys, theres more of us and weve filled the earth...yet we have laws that the majority of people and countries sign up to, yeah its not perfect, but over all most people are honest and good....so apart from the obvious problems, i'm happy to be here right now. good question.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

FUD (Fear Anxiety and Doubt) is the lifeblood of the WTB&TS.

The world is changing, but its not getting worse, it is actually getting BETTER.

What is happening is that access to "zero-calorie information" - NEWS - is becoming more pervasive, and the standards of "news reporters" (usually ignorant talking heads with a pleasant voice) are getting lower.

So you find out on waking that a child on the other side of the country has been kidnapped, and every hour the report is updated. As the old newspapermen said, "If it bleeds - it LEADS." Sensationalism Sells.

I've found it really helpful to give myself vacations from the news. Most of it is stuff that doesn't afect me directly and stuff that I can't do anything about. I focus on working on local problems and I try to be nice to people.

• moshe
    moshe

Didn't the Bible warn us about the terrible end times and the rumors of wars? When was the last time we had a war that was, well, just an unprovable rumor? -probably not for a 100 years and definitely the rumors of wars came to an end with the invention of spy satellites. That being said, just ask an older JW, if they are willing to give up all the prescription drugs they are taking and go back to the good ol' days of Aspirin, Alka Seltzer, Pepto Bismol and enemas, which was all the working class had for their ailments.- People died early- in their 50's, back before WW2.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

They're still using enemas in old age homes, where it's refered to as "surf and turf".

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Heard a story recently of a very obese, recently deceased elder who was so big they couldn't find a coffin big enough to bury him in. So they gave him an enema and buried him in a shoebox.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't think so.

Just a couple hundred years ago you could expect to live to the ripe old age of 40, maybe 50. You would likely loose several children to infant mortality, childhood diseases. You had to very nearly literally 'work your fingers to the bone' to make a living unless you were of noble class. You probably lived in a small, isolated area, from which you might have never gone more than a few miles for your entire life. On and on.

I am speaking from the perspective of the human condition - and that is far better today in many respects.

As far as disaster - those have always been here, and always will be here. Scientific progress works both sides of a sword sometimes - but overall, it has advanced our species.

Of course part and parcel of the entire matter is your personal placement on the continuum of optimism/pessimism. I prefer to find a glass that is more than half full.

Jeff

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I don't think things are worse than ever. That preception has more to do with all bad news spreading around the world while good news is often ignored, making things look much worse than they are. Death, evil, corruption, and catastrophe sell newspapers and boost TV ratings. Good news is "boring". One murder is front-page news and covered by every national network. A story about high-school students using their vacation to help out at disabled children's center won't make it past the local paper's coverage area.

As others have said, comparing what we have now to my great-grandparents' lives as 19th century immigrants, I would not want to trade places with them. Appropriate to this season, I am very thankful to be living in this place and time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit