Is the World really getting worse?

by Nickolas 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

A fundamental platform of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, from which its fearsome prognostications are launched, is the inexorable deterioration of the World. The World is becoming a less and less hospitable place in which to live. It seems with news of every earthquake, every natural catastrophe, every epidemic, every atrocity, and every disaster manmade or otherwise, there is the inevitable shaking of the finger and stern proclamation, "See? Do you see what's happening? These are signs that the time is short!" It has been ever thus.

But is it? I remember back in the 70's reading dire WT predictions of imminent worldwide famine, the disintegration of law and order and the horrific unraveling of society, none of which happened. If the World is not actually spiraling down toward destruction, what does that do to the credibility of the WT platform? Is life in the world, in fact, not better today than it was at any other time in mankind's existence?

• sabastious
    sabastious

It gets worse and it gets better. We are in a constant state of flux.

I will say this though.

500 years ago it was highly uncommon to see people fighting against racism and sexism. Also, the information revolution through the internet is helping the world become more critical and less gullible.

I think we're heading up, slowly.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Always steps forward and back.

What about scientific advances in medicine, electronics, physics, genetics, astronomy, oceanography ...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What about scientific advances in medicine, electronics, physics, genetics, astronomy, oceanography ...

New technology always comes with pros and cons. It's good development, but we as a species really need to work on our understanding of the true human condition to really make a difference as a society.

-Sab

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why the World will always look Shity..

To Jehovah`s Witness`s..

................................ ...OUTLAW

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Part of the point I'm trying to make, Sab. (Seems like we're the only ones discussing this, eh?) What has happened in human genetics is incredibly insightful with respect to understanding what makes us tick (and what makes us sick).

Edit. Hey there, outlaw. I think I recognise him - an elder?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Nickolas..

I think more than a few congregations had that guy as an elder..LOL!!..

................................ ...OUTLAW

• sabastious
    sabastious

Genetics was a huge leap forward. Problem is many people don't observe genetics as regard to evolution because they think it's ok to disbelieve evolution.

The psychology of why people would ignore a fact of nature is an incredibly complex subject that we have only touched the surface of.

Solving the riddle of how to get through to people of denial is quite daunting. Once that happens though, we shall have a great leap forward.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I think more than a few congregations had that guy as an elder..LOL!!..

Just one? I'd say 85%+ of all elders looked exactly like that.

-Sab

• Satanus
    Satanus

Capitalism is having a hiccup, due to gread and bad decisions. However, science and technology carries on, making slow advancements that improve lives, daily. In the east, the other two powers are slowly improving their lots. China's advance is common knowledge. For instance, it recently put together the world's fastest computer. Russia is slowly getting back on it's feet. The cold war fear has practically dissappeared. The 'terrorism' fear level isn't that high. Also, it's danger probably isn't as high as portrayed by the media. Overall, i think, the world is improving.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit