Stephen Hawkings is a nutter for believing in a fantasy

by Mad Dawg 31 Replies latest social current

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Sure, but there are those who really, truly believe in a multiverse.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

NVL..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• eric356
    eric356

Yeah, Hawkings is a total idiot. It's not like he's ever done significant work in cosmology or is very familiar with the concepts and mathematics that he's talking about. *sarcasm*

• cofty
    cofty

Roughly speaking a hypothesis is an educated (very educated) guess - a theory is as good as it gets.

Hawkins tends to live in the frontiers of hypothesis's's's's's

When you look a bit more closely though so much of theoretical physics is based on really solid maths, its not the fantasy the popular press tends to suggest

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Sure, but there are those who really, truly believe in a multiverse.

Well those people ARE nutters.

Outlaw, I am having a beer right now.

BTW, I had an oscuro Exile cigar last night. Deliciuous smoke, but not enough smoke and I had trouble keeping it lit, but I think that may have had more to do with my slightly over humidifying my humidor (due to a faulty hygrometer, I found out) than the cigar itself.

• simon17
    simon17

I think it should also be added, that probably MOST of the greatest scientists ever at one point in their life believed a hypothesis that had no existing known evidence. They came up with the hypothesis and started collecting the evidence to show it was a valid, new radical understanding. When Darwin proposed evolution it wasn't a theory at all. It was just a hypothesis. It was only later with Mendel's peas and moths and bones and experiements that it became accepted as a theory.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

NVL..

Your humidfier is too moist..

Thats going to affect the way the cigar burns..

Too dry or too moist,changes the taste too..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Your humidfier is too moist..

Yeah, I discovered my hygrometer wasn't working right, I just need a better one, I guess. It kept showing the humidity as way too low and I kept trying to get it higher and higher and then realized something was up and tested the hygrometer and it's busted. I have heard rumors that I might, for my birthday, be getting a macanudo humidor with an integrated digital hygrometer and humidifier.

Like I said, the smoke was awesome, just way to moist. I am recitfying the moisture issue though.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Quantum mechanics has run counter to all sorts of "common sense" arguments. The basic mathematical reponse could be summed up as "the universe is not limited by our common sense."

• Twitch
    Twitch

I'm sure the critics of Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo and Einstein said the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit