Why don't JWs celebrate Thanksgiving

by levicolemagic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

JWs eat crow every time they have a conversation about their religion with someone who is not completely ignorant, so they relish the opportunity to eat turkey once a year.

"Turkey: The OTHER bird we eat." - WTB&TS

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

This thread is hilarious!

It's a cult: WELCOME - I believe you are talking about tryptophan - I think that's the stuff turkeys have a lot of and yes, it is supposed to make you relaxed and sleepy...

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

true...sad but true

• donuthole
    donuthole

We usually had our turkey dinner "cause it's on sale". Similar to how we went over to the friends house for gathering on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, "cause we have the day off from work the next day."

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Your link won't load for me right now for some reason, but patriotism is always one of the big ones cited for Thanksgiving. To the JWs, you're celebrating the "founding of America," so it's nationalistic. I don't know if they still use that excuse in Canada or other countries with Thanksgiving-type holidays.

• man in black
    man in black

I remember an elder once telling a study at the hall "we don't celebrate Thanksgiving because ,why should we single out only one day to be thankful."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses believe that they don't need to set aside a special day to give thanks. They pretty much assume that it is a pagan holiday where the Puritans originally used it to thank God for the bountiful harvest and the blessings of the previous year. This, to me, is a lame excuse--when I was going into the cancer, the dingbat that dragged me in literally gave me a mandatory "invite" to his place for the day so I wouldn't celebrate the holiday. We had chicken, artichokes, and mashed potatoes (no gravy), and then went to the boasting session--a complete waste.

I think the real reasons are that the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger doesn't want the witlesses enjoying anything, and they want them out in field circus while everyone is supposedly home. Perfect opportunity to knock off those not at homes. Also, the money spent on turkeys and other items is "better put into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund". Of course, reality is that the witlesses don't have anything to be thankful for.

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

yodaMuch anger I sense, WWizard.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

>>>>"One thing, I don't have a copy of the new Flock book on hand, maybe somebody can look it up, but there may be a softening of their position on Thanksgiving and other holidays."

Every week before a major U.S. holiday, they link to http://watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_14.htm from the main page of their website. Sure enough, it's up there now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit