Why don't JWs celebrate Thanksgiving

by levicolemagic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• The Finger
    The Finger

I think they are always soft on the US culture but don't mind treading all over everyone else's.

• inbetween
    inbetween

one explanation I got:

thanksgiving goes back to the pilgrims in america, where they often killed poor Indians, thats why we dont celebrate it....seriously, that was the only explanation

almost the same BS as with birthdays, toasting etc....

• cheerios
    cheerios

it's simple .. the indians weren't pyramidologists ... so therefore, they were evil apostates

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Nathan Natas, Manna was not the only food God provided....

http://www.atheistsweekly.com/2010/10/holy-quail.html

• Heaven
    Heaven

levicolemagic, Welcome to JWN! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Your article is good. Kurtbethel is right on the money with the JWs I know. They play the Pagan card with this holiday as with others such as Easter & Christmas. Funny isn't it that they pick and choose which Pagan things to adopt though, like they all wear wedding rings and the men wear neckties which are Pagan. What gets me though is that their main symbol, the Watchtower, is Pagan. They're rather hypocritical in my book.

• designs
    designs

Secret Turkeys

• Tristram
    Tristram

Levi,

Your #4 reason nails it.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Welcome to the board, levicolemagic! I loved your final scripture, Romans 14 - it totally debunks the Society's lame arguments!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Shortly before leaving the org, I was in a car group and one of the woman asked the group "why is it we don't celebrate thanks giving I forgot". a little old lady sitting next to me in the backseat piped up "it's a pagan holiday" I said "no it's not" the car went silent and every one became nervous and uncomfortable and I thought this is crazy I don't know how much longer I can be a part of this.

• Room 215
    Room 215

... because they get off on saying "no" to something everyone else says "yes" to

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit