When Was The Last Time You Said A Prayer?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

St George- you had that great Aha moment, the best days are ahead of you. Enjoy.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Awen Romans 7:15 "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate."

This is the "flesh" or what the NIV bible also calls the "sinful nature".

One cannot overcome the flesh by oneself, only by the Spirit.

Romans 8:5 (New International Version)

5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

Romans 8:13 (New International Version)

13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

Galatians 5:16-17 (New International Version)

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

Galatians 6:8 (New International Version)

8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

John 3:5-7 (New International Version)

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• St George of England
    St George of England
    St George- you had that great Aha moment,

True, and I pray that my efforts will result in my dear wife having one too.

George

• Scully
    Scully

I wouldn't call it prayer, per se, but sometimes at work in an urgent medical situation, I'll think to myself "please let me get this IV started" or "please let me collect all these tubes of blood" or "please don't have a higher blood pressure than 15 minutes ago" or "where the f*ck is the resident??"

I'm not talking (or thinking) to anyone in particular... just steeling myself for things going worse than they already are.

Actual prayer to god... probably more than 15 years. And even as a JW, it was sporadic and rather infrequent. I guess I just couldn't muster up the gumption to talk to someone who I knew had never listened to anything I had to say.

• designs
    designs

These accounts of Paul and Jesus are strange when you consider Jewish beliefs, which they supposedly are raised in. Paul says to walk in the spirit so you won't follow your fleshly desires yet when he goes to Jerusalem to address the apostles he arranges and undergoes a strange homoerotic shaving ritual. And then you have the Jew Jesus telling a Jew who already knows about the Shekinah to accept the Shekinah and be saved when he is already 'saved' is a little like telling a child to eat your peas when they have already cleaned their plate..........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit