TSA Tells Woman to Leave Insulin Pump At Home

by Yizuman 12 Replies latest social current

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Quote:

TSA to Traveler: Next Time, Leave Your Insulin Pump at Home?

Woman complains about TSA screening at local airport.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As we hear from more outraged air travelers about the humiliating procedures they're being forced to endure to pass through airport security checkpoints, comes this doozy out of Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport.

A woman called the South Florida's First News Show on radio station 610am WIOD, this morning (Wed. 11-17-10), horrified about what her daughter had been put through.

The call was with the woman, named Jackie, speaking with 610am WIOD host Jimmy Cefalo & Manny Munoz.

"She is an insuline depended diabetic who has an isuline pump. She travels regularly in the airport. Today, about 25 minutes ago, she was..the alarm went off she told them she had an insuline pump, they physically groped her, went down her pants, her thighs, and advised her not to wear the insuline pump any more going through security. They advised her to take it off in the future if she didn't want to be groped. She was so upset she called me after she got through security hysterically crying"

Fort Lauderdale Airport officials say no formal complaint was filed so they are unaware if the alleged incident ever took place.

Source: WIOD NewsRadio 610 - News | Traffic | Weather - 24

Yiz

• sherry123
    sherry123

These ppl are getting drunk with power,I believe

• White Dove
    White Dove

She needs to report this because the action was outside what is required and is outside the law.

Her rights under the ADA were violated, as well.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

woo...yuzi is back!! how's the wife??

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

She's doing fine. Her health is stable and steady. Thank you for asking!

Yiz

• moshe
    moshe

Carry a certified copy of a doctor's prescription for the insulin pump, that would be my suggestion for starters.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

When my husband had a pacemaker put in, he alo received an ID card for it.

• Deceived
    Deceived

A man I know here in Canada got a hip replacement last year. He went to the airport not long after with his wife and forgot to tell them ahead of time that he had the replacement. The alarms went off. He told them he had a hip replacement with metal.......

This was in Toronto, Ontario Canada airport. The security guy said show me proof. Seriously he was forced to drop his pants right there in front of everyone to show his scar. I kid you Not. Now he lets them know ahead of time BUT he has to go through some elaborate shenanigans everytime he travels to clear security because of it. He travels often.

He had MORE patience than I have, I would be screaming bloody Murder.

I broke my arm a year ago yesterday, they put a plate in my arm. I am wondering if I would have the same problem with airport security. I better check before I fly again. Its getting so you hate to fly anymore, its going to be the death of the Airline business if they don't find a more gentile way of dealing with security. I totally understand why they have to be so careful, but please, deal with us with respect. Unfortunately these crazies keep coming up with New ways to smuggle explosives onto planes so it is a huge dilemma. Last week or the week before a explosion was stopped that could have happened over Canada. Originally from Yeman I think. Explosives in a printer cartridge......now you can't bring a printer cartridge on a plane. Soon you won't be able to bring anything on a plane and will have to undergo a internal exam........seriously its getting crazy.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

When my husband had a pacemaker put in, he alo received an ID card for it.

ID and medical notes mean jack these days. I have one for a liquid medication I have to carry, which is properly labelled and meets all TSA requirements, and the workers basically just laugh at it. They're quick to say things like, "We're never required to accept those" or "We don't take chances." In fact, I've watched workers throw out EpiPens and breast milk for other passengers. For some of these TSA workers, nothing you do, say, or provide is ever enough. It's asinine.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Ok, so you haven't been able to take so much as an ounce of liquid or a pocket knife on a plane for years now, but somehow this woman forgot she has an insulin pump??? Bull.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit