I can spot JW's a mile away....

by lalaa 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lalaa
    lalaa

So earlier today I was having lunch with my sister when 3 ladies walked in to the restaurant. One in her early 20's..one in her late 30's early 40's and the last one maybe somewhere in her 50's. When I looked up and glanced at them I said to my sister that I bet those are JW's since they were all dressed in service clothes. They ended up sitting by us and one of them brought their book bag in with the Asleep magazine peeking out. So nosey me was listening in to a little bit of their convo while eating. Then the young girl was talking about how she went to a concert (did'nt hear what type it was) and how she started to hand out magazines since she just felt that she had to share the good new with everyone there.

The rest of their conversation was pretty boring...talking about sister so and so being sooooo encouraging...However, I do have to say that I didn't hear them gossip (maybe they saved the gossip for actual field service). I was kinda hoping that they would so I could say something to them. Anyway.....Listening to them talk made me realize that their standard cult language has not changed a bit. I don't miss it at all.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am always suspicious of groups of people dressed in suits or dresses, especially if it's inappropriate for the weather ("sisters" in dresses with no thermal underwear in frigid weather). If I see between 2 and 6 people getting out of a car, and they are all dressed up and appearing to be regrouping, I will speed up to get away from them. If I see a couple of people dressed up with bags, and they are walking slowly, I will again speed up to put distance between me and them. Sometimes I am wrong--it is a relief if one of them lights up a cancer stick or I can hear swearing or discussion about a big sale. But, I would rather be safe than forcibly dragged back to the Kingdumb Hell.

Not only by appearance can I tell them, but I often get a sense that someone might be a witless if they seem preoccupied with religion. There is always a sense of duty in doing something they don't want to all day (and sometimes, all night) long. Everything enjoyable is bad. They do not surround themselves with beauty of any kind, nor do they appreciate it when it does appear in the territory (those people are judged to have their own paradise). The witlesses never appreciate anything worth appreciating--they always have something bad to say about everything anyone does. Always. And they never have anything good to say--not even "Those people put a lot of work into it, and use a lot of electricity, and spend a lot of money--but you have to admit that they are pretty".

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Then the young girl was talking about how she went to a concert (did'nt hear what type it was) and how she started to hand out magazines since she just felt that she had to share the good new with everyone there

OMG... those poor concert attendees... can't she just "switch off" for a few hours and enjoy the concert?

• lalaa
    lalaa

No kidding Broken Promises...That's what I was thinking. I guess she had to get some more time in for the month.

• Chalam
    Chalam

If I see between 2 and 6 people getting out of a car, and they are all dressed up and appearing to be regrouping, I will speed up to get away from them. If I see a couple of people dressed up with bags, and they are walking slowly, I will again speed up to put distance between me and them.

JWs (and Mormons) usually look like they are on their way to a funeral. They dress smartly, often in black or grey and walk slowly with a sombre demeanour.

It is pretty clear they aren't going to bring "good news" when they knock on one's door Galatians 1:6-9

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• hirotaka
    hirotaka

Yeah I can seem to spot them a mile away too. My ex girlfriend , not a j-dub] could spot them too....when we were driving she used to yell out JW ALERT JW ALERT, to the right or left.

One question for WT Wizard. Do you reall think that those J-dubs you see would actually forcibly DRAG you back into the Hall? I've read your posts here for a long time and

1. you seem more than a bit paranoid about being forced into the religion

2. you use the weirdest descriptions of the religion, eg the washtowel slavery and ???? tract society. and your other colloquial expressions. Love to do a brain scan on you one day bud.

H

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

easy to spot , but these days finding one to spot is getting harder and harder as there seems to be so few of them, the very best chance you get is to stand outside a Kingdumb Hall or a DC, they are deserting the door banging work in droves around here.

• wobble
    wobble

Yup, you are right Jookie, I used to spot them all the time as I rode around the country in my work.

I do not go so far afield these days, but I almost never see any. I do hope they are becoming an endangered species.

I work mainly from home now, and have noticed that my "map" only gets called on twice a year at the most, when I was in, we were round every six weeks, and in a larger "territory" than the Congo now serves ! (serves ? should be "troubles)

• moshe
    moshe

Me too.

You often see those JWs in from of 7-11's in the mroning looking for an easy mark. At noon on a Saturday you can see JW groups/families in restaurants. A few years ago I say a young boy in a suit at McDonalds at lunch- Saturday + KH 2 blocks away + group of dressed up adults of varying ages == JWs. I aproached the 9-10 year old kid at the soda dispenser and told , "don't believe what you hear at the KH, it's a lie", and went out the door. I saw their car with WT mags in the parking lot near mine.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Brilliant Moshe, and a good idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit