Are you really ready for big moral issues?

by Mindchild 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I agree Frenchy is very gallant. But would that be the case in real life?

Obviously there are many factors that come into play in this scenario. But I do not have a grandiose idea that my life is more important than any other adults. The supreme thing to do would be to help the children first. Then look at the most likely to survive, I guess. Why have space taken up by someone whose life may already be limited by such factors as physical injuries.
    Unfortunately if the scenario was a real one, quick decisions have to be made and not always do the 12 survivors have the luxury of thinking what is the “best” decision for all involved. I would hope I would be able to contribute to a humane decision at the time and then be able to live with the group’s decision, whatever it may be.

j2bf

• amccullough
    amccullough

Interesting question, but there are so many variables that the chances of any solution working out are slim...I imagine there would be a mad rush. If everyone was level headed, then my suggestion would be one adult male (whoever is either physically strongest or most experienced in survival) to care for the others, 2 women (one a mother, and one physically capable of assisting in survival), and 3 children. You could probably squeeze in more children if the raft fits 6 adults. I doubt that would happen though...(ed.note: referring to the whole situation, not just the squeezing children in part.)

Cheers,
    Andrew

• AMarie
    AMarie

This is a really hard question!!! When visualizing myself being in the situation, I would defininitely put the children in the raft first. There is nothing more heartwrenching than seeing a small helpless human being suffering while you stand by and watch. Along with Andrew's train of thought, I would definitely want a strong man who was capable of surviving harsh conditions in there, a very motherly type woman to take care of the kids, and another person (man or woman) who could be a backup if anything were to happen to one of the adults.

AMarie

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I like your reasoning, Mandy.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol @ Hillary

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Here are some real life moral issues I personally struggle with:

1. There is a small percentage of children inside the Borg who are still being abused. I recently got a personal letter from someone who lurks on this site and discovered that a young sister was being sexually abused by a JW relative. While the abuse has stopped and the offending abuser has moved to another congregation, the victim is afraid to go public with the information for what it would do to her family. The moral issue here is, where do you draw the line between respecting someone's right for privacy or to let a known criminal continue to find another victim?
    2. Another thing I have a problem with is abuses in authority. I truly feel that most politicians in this country are criminals and while this may not be a very patriotic stand to take, the abuses committed by both political parties are outstanding and irrefutable. The moral issue then for me is this: can I really support such a dishonarable and immoral group of people in power? If I was in Germany when Hitler was in power, would I be supporting him or fighting against him? What is your take on that one?
    3. The Drug issue. There are a lot of incredibly stupid people who will manage to fuck up their lives without ever using drugs. In fact many kids who can't get drugs, use far more dangerous means of getting high, including sniffing glue, gasaline, and so forth. The war on drugs is a complete and total failure and is stupid. Yet it is the law and further is backed by majority opinion in the USA. I personally don't use drugs. I have friends who do though. I wonder though about the moral issues involved. Do you have a right to pick and choose which laws you will obey? When you drive down the road, do you decide to stop at traffic lights if you are in a hurry? It is a thorny issue...your take on this one?

Skipper

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

If faith can move mountains what about water? How about getting on the shoulder of Jesus, isn't he a miracle worker?

Guest 77

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

A lot may find this offensive but it is my opnion.
    It is more then obvious, or it should be anyway,
    that in to many cases forcing some of these victims
    to bring the abuse out in the open by going behind
    their backs and publicizing it anyway against their
    wishes may only cause them more harm. Even though
    intentions would be good, we don’t really know how
    their lives will be affected from it not to mention
    other innocent victims it would spawn. Each situation
    is unique. Even if the story is all to familure and
    most of them are, still each case is unique because
    everyone’s living situation is different and their
    relationships with loved ones and friends and even
    neighbors and classmates are theirs.
    This may sound a little on the vigilante side however
    when ever I come across a victim of abuse, especially
    molestation, within my sphere of influence, I have no
    problem keeping an eye on the abuser and letting that
    person know that I am keeping an eye on them where
    ever they go. Iv done it before and I have no problem
    doing it again if needed.
    It works. If everyone who knew of someone who was being
    abused would do that, and mean it, it would make Impact
    and it would help.
    The molester is not likely to challenge you in most
    cases and if they did, So what!
    plm
    I'll tell you why I feel this way. The first time I
    remember hearing of someone being molested that was
    fairly close to me was when a good friend of my moms,
    a sister in our cong. came to my mom as a friend in
    confidence, not knowing what to do because she found
    out that her husband was molesting thier daughter.
    I don't know why she was at our house, I do know that
    she went to the elders with it, I wasn't aware of
    what took place there. Anyway to make a long story a
    little shorter, she got a restraining order against
    her husband and filed for a divorce. Believe or not
    the courts gave custody to the molesting father and
    ordered her to leave the home.
    Sounds wako but it is every bit true.
    When it comes to trusting, i'm sorry to say but because
    of this and many many many other situations the judicial
    system is nearing the bottom of my list.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

It should be noted in my example above about the Witness who was abused....in no way will I ever disclose any details of this information. I believe in privacy and confidentiallity. I just used this as an example to illustrate the moral issues that people face and the problems assoicated with it.

plmkrzy...I probably have a much lower opinion of the judicial system (I take it you mean the justice system and the courts) than you do and I personally know of several people that have been totally screwed over. I'm just afraid though if I knew of a rapist or a child molester who was guilty and got away with things, I would be doing more than keeping an eye on them.

Skipper

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Mindchild

"I would be doing more than keeping an eye on them."

I whole heartedly agree. And there are a few stories
    I would love to share and have no problem doing that
    but not on the NET. Even though most of us are
    annonamous there's always that chance of
    being caught in a very incriminating position so I
    think it's a good idea to be careful about admitting
    too much. Call it paranoid if you want I can live