'The past doesnt matter-what matters is now, we dont get caught up in the past

by Joliette 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

Many people do come out of the WTS, so the mind control certainly is by no means 100% effective.

That said, I'm always amazed by how JWs who accept the "no one's perfect" defense for the GB at the same time believe that to question them is to rebel against Jehovah because He speaks through them.

Does He speak through them or are they just men? If just men, then why can't they be questioned? Doesn't the scripture tell us to "test all things"?

• caliber
    caliber

The importance of history is that study and analysis of past events help us shape a better future by examining the causes and consequences of the past mistakes and avoidance of their repetition in future. We can discover the forces that created out present.

The WT appears to be caught up with the future... how about a nice balance of past, present and future.

A balanced view means a balanced life.

A point I have used... If we can go back five hundred years and condemn the churches for burning people at the stake,

why can't we go back a mere 100 years to see what the WT has done in her history ?

If the past don't matter why are there vast sections set aside called "history section "" at every library in the world ??

• yknot
    yknot

I get the """ I just wanna serve/please Jah""" response....

Accurate knowledge has become nothing more than discerning to obey and follow the "Slave"

Deep Sighs....

• Wrath of Jehu
    Wrath of Jehu

Faithful? Oh yes, how faithful.

Discreet? Oh my, oh how discreet.

That's all I need. " As a young sappling sapples, what joy to discern, for thy joyousness be joyful and faithful we learn. The wheat from chaffling the chaffling does say, oh my how the faithful shall lead us to stay."

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The past doesn't matter...what matters now is not to get caught up in the past.

This sentiment doesn't apply when the Watchtower folks drag up every error made by the Catholic Church, the United Nations, Governments of the world and anything connected with what they call Babylon the Great.

Work done by charitable organizations, humanitarian efforts, strides toward peace, cleaning up the environment etc...are glossed over. All past errors, (except their own) are continually thrown in the faces of any group they choose to denigrate in their literature. All of mankind not associated with their organization are painted with the same brush....Condemned.

• designs
    designs

The belief in Progressive Light buys them a lot of excuses........

• wobble
    wobble

But who was shining a light on a lie ? God ?

So who is shining a light today ? The same ones who did in the past.

"He who does not learn from the past is doomed to repeat it "

• Heaven
    Heaven

I would respond as follows:

"It is not the past that I am worried so much about but the foundation of lies that was established in the past. If you don't correct the foundation built on falsehoods, then everything that flows from there is false."

• ziddina
    ziddina

OOOOOOO!!! Mad Sweeney, Heaven, I LUV your replies!!!

After looking thru all these great responses, if I ever catch a JW using that excuse around me, I think I'll use a variation on the comments by Caliber and ExWhyZee...

(Ziddy): "So, you Jehovah's Witnesses look at the history of the Catholic Church, and condemn THEM for their past actions, and yet you won't even read the Watchtower Society's old literature and compare it to the latest versions????? ... ... Whoa!!-O-K!!! It was nice talking with you!! BY-EEEE!!!..."

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit