'The past doesnt matter-what matters is now, we dont get caught up in the past

by Joliette 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
  • Joliette
    Joliette

Okay, since my post didnt come out correct, I guess I'll have to do a reply

This is basically the answer that I get when I bring up the watchtower's shady past to both active and even non active DUBS in my family. They simply shrug it off, say that the brothers made mistakes, say that people are out to make the witnesses look bad, that its satan, etc. Do you guys think that the witnesses have been brainwashed so hard, that theres no possiblity of free thinking for them.

• ziddina
    ziddina

HaHHH!!

The first thing I thought, when I saw this thread's quote/title, was....

"Well, that's why you idiots look like such ignorant dolts!!!!"

But to expand a bit...

NOW that I see THIS mentality of your JW relatives, it puts new shades of meaning to the Watchtower Society's anti-college attitudes...

Any college worth its salt is going to emphasize the importance of a decent knowledge of history. Heck, even the required grades 1-12 in the U.S.A. require all children to take history classes - or at least they USED to, before America began to be dumbed-down...

Next time they say that, point out the incongruity of ignoring Watchtower history while giving validity to the so-called 'history' written in the bible... [DON'T state it in those terms when talking to your relatives, though!!!]

Hope this helps...

Zid

• carla
    carla

In the past just as today the wt has claimed to speak for God, that is why the mistakes and false prophecies matter.

jw do not like to be reminded that everything they believe today could become old light tomorrow and EVERYTHING they believe hinges on what mere men have to say on any given day. I think they should bring back words like 'present truth' because it makes it clear that there was erroneous 'older truths' how could they be 'truths' if they are not true today? God does not change, only man and his interpretations of Him do (for the believing crowd).

• mamalove
    mamalove

Its a convenient out for them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The Bible is primarily a historical book. Do Jehovah's Witnesses discourage studying it? Every freaking week they're at the "theocratic school" reading "history" about some sheep herder or fig nipper from 3000 years ago who heard voices pertaining to the religion and politics of a small middle eastern nation and that's ok but you investigating the recent history of the very organization they belong to is unimportant? Satanic even?

Yes, Joliette, it is absolutely all about mind control. The "history of the organization" is a trigger for "thought stoppers." While JWs don't use obviously wacko thought stopping techniques like closing their eyes, chanting loudly, and rocking back and forth, they nevertheless DO employ thought stopping when anything challenges their cult.

I STRONGLY recommend reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan. It is SO good at explaining exactly what cults do to control their members and why. It doesn't mention JWs but if you ever were one you'll see JW techniques all throughout it.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Thank you guys for your replies.

Madsweeney: EXCELLENT POINT about the bible. If I brought out that point to my parents, or my ex study, they say that the bible is important, but they seem to shy away about the history of JW's. If you asked a question, its very filtered and you only hear about the good side of it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife brought this up to me today. Now my wife made the comment when speaking against celebrating Christmas. My response, "I just look at how it is viewed today, not how it was viewed thousands of years ago."

Now she says that how can I say that about Christmas and not about the witnesses? I wish I had thought to say it then but now I am thinking that I should've turned it around on her. After all, if she does not want to 'touch' Christmas because it was a pagan thing thousands of years ago. How come she continues to 'touch' the watchtower society given its shady history?

I will remember to ask her that next time.

• garyneal
    garyneal

The next time a Jehovah's Witness tells you that phrase, ask him or her why that statement does not apply to Christmas, Birthdays, and all pagan holidays.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

ok, i'll give them that, and we can talk about the NOW. NOW the watchtower covers up child rape. NOW the watchtower encourages people to let their children die rather than have a blood transfusion. NOW the watchtower promotes the shunning of mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, grandparents if one of them steps out of line with the hundreds of rules made by the leaders.i could go on and on.

past or present the watchtower has no leg to stand on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit