Why did "Back Calls" change to "Return Visits"?

by donuthole 48 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    I believe the reason for the change (apart from change for the sake of change to keep the publishers on their toes) was that "back-call" was a term commonly used by commercial salesman, and the WTS at the time was trying to emphasize that their work was a non-commercial ministry.

This is what we were told back then as well. My husband came into the org in the 90's and he said the service meeting was just a sales meeting with a different name.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Why change colporter to pioneer?

Cole Porter was an American Composer of Broadway Musicals etc and that name was associated with having a good time, which would have been inappropriate . The term Pioneer was adopted because like the Amish, early JW's drove around in Covered Wagons. (4 door of course because 2 doors are just too hard to get in and out of)

• VM44
    VM44

Definition of COLPORTEUR: a peddler of religious books.

How could a Watch Tower colporteur say with a straight face, "We are not peddlers of God's Word", particularly before a judge in a court of law?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

My husband came into the org in the 90's and he said the service meeting was just a sales meeting with a different name.

Very true. Well, not completely. I've been to a lot of boring sales meetings, but very few that were anywhere near as boring as a typical service meeting.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The theo-speak phrase with the shortest shelf-life was "rendezvous" which for a brief period in the sixties was used to describe a pre-appointed meeting for field service;

• minimus
    minimus

wife swappers

• james_woods
    james_woods

Minimus - we have not seen you in Wibble for some time.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I was in a congregation in Cleveland when the change occured the congregation was heavily saturated

with Italians what they said from the stage was that the mafia made back calls so we don't want

to use that terminology, we will use return visits.

• minimus
    minimus

i never heard that said about the Mafia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit