Why did "Back Calls" change to "Return Visits"?

by donuthole 48 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

Does anyone remember the rationale that was used in rebranding "back calls" as "return visits"?

While on the subject does anyone else remember any theocratic name changes like,

district assembly to district convention

new order to new world

bulletin board to information board

?

• watson
    watson

"Return Visit" is much more business like.

• minimus
    minimus

There's no such thing as a 'back call".

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I was a kid back in the 1980's when I remember the change, I was a new publisher at age 10 and I remember having a small black book that was embossed "back calls" on the cover & I would record my placements in it

my mom told me when they changed the wording that "back call" was too old of a term, and the words "return visits" means publishers must return to offer the householder a bible study, not just call on them with the magazines-

was she full of bullsh*t?? you guys let me know

I don't know about the rest of them- I would like to know why change from "new order" to "new world"?

CHG

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

They often like to change stuff just for the sake of change, as a way to get the troops excited about something. No Armageddon? Who cares? Jehovah's celestial chariot is moving forward with constant name changes. At the annual meeting, it was announced, I'm sure to thunderous applause, that the Ministerial Training School is now the Bible School for Single Brothers (or something like that). How is that better? Did Jehovah whisper in the ear of the Governing Body that this should be its correct name?

It's just one more stupid thing the Watchtower does to try to make itself look special.

• clarity
    clarity

Donuthole Hi,

I figured that all the 'terms' that were used when I signed up in the 1960's...

those are the ones I kept useing! Anytime I got THE visit, from the 'circuit servant' about my back calls etc they looked pretty po'd.

What was the Head Honcho at the KH called before the revolving elder arrangement kicked in ... was it Congregation servant?

c

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

According to the WT CD, the terms 'back calls' and 'return visits' were used interchangeably in the literature. And the 1955 'Qualified To Be Ministers' book had an entry in the index under 'Back Call' that referred you to the entry 'Return Visit.' But I also noticed that during the '70s, 'back call' was phased out. From my own memory, I cannot remember any rationale behind the change. I wonder if the S-8s and/or report slips simply changed the heading from 'back call' to 'return visit' and that was that.

I also remember that there was a time when District Assemblies became District Conventions and people began to be corrected if they used the wrong expression. As for 'new order' and 'new world' - I still hear both used.

• blondie
  • darth frosty
    darth frosty

Why change colporter to pioneer?

• Confession
    Confession

I remember this change, and was told that "back calls" had also been a term used by the mafia. Supposedly the change was meant to distinguish JWs from organized crime. (pause) There's a joke in there somewhere...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit