Yoga

by letsslatejws 15 Replies latest jw friends

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

Why was there such a fuss about not doing Yoga?

I did my first Yoga class today and whilst you are encouraged to not think about your days worries, you can hardly consider this vacating your mind, so as to let Satan in! It was more about holding stretching limbs and simply holding poses (such as holding your leg out straight etc)

I find it hilarious that I was so scared to even consider doing this...

Anyone else done or do Yoga? What do you think now?

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am starting a class today.... without reservation....

those silly dr0nes just lap up the crap the b0rg
    spews without the least bit of initiative to see
    if even the most outlandish claims they make
    can be borne out.... i know this to be true for
    sadly i was one of them for far too long!

talk about vacating the mind!!!

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

We have been doing yoga for over a 1.5 years...did some research on the different types of Yoga and found that you can practice Yoga without it being a 'Spiritual' (demonic) one according to Jw beliefs.

• Started to think for myself, doing my own research on everything that I thought I knew or was told to know...and WOW...so many things come to .

Sw

• xchange
    xchange

I've been doing yoga for about 2 years now and is a great non-impact way to tone your body. The place I belong to also has Pilates, Core, Hatha, Hot Yoga and even a Spin class that I go to all the time. While many instructors vary, there are some with a strong spiritual bent in the way they instruct but you can disregard that and just focus on the physicality that yoga encourages. I am not a spiritual person but do enjoy the calming effect yoga has on me. I also find that people you meet there are so much more grounded than those you would meet at a gym, especially in the weight room ;)

I had to stop playing hockey (breaks my heart) due to knee injuries and between cycling and yoga I have found a way to keep me active with out any impact on the slowly aging body.

Cheers.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It's a matter of how much you want to get into it, both in practice and in terms of the discussion here. If we just want to look at how silly the WTS position is that goes without saying. We do know it has spiritual roots, but the fact is most teach what might be called "fast food yoga" by some (often called "power" yoga) and couldn't even really guide you in the spiritual stuff even if you were interested, even if they'd like to read you some spiritual philosophy and create that general atmosphere in the studio.

Generally speaking something like yoga follows the model of physical to energetic to spiritual, so it's just on a continuum of going toward a subtler and less tangible perception of the body, but it's still the body. Just because you're not thinking, and you naturally do this all the time during the day anyway, it doesn't mean your mind goes away. What the concern is of course is that you forget the beliefs the WTS teach, or you even stop holding on to them as tightly. Without getting into it in much detail which people are not likely to be interested in, there can be feelings of bliss (rather than just loose and relaxed) even when people don't even really know what they're doing, and you can imagine that's going to be preferrable to the kind of feelings they're used to having as a result of indoctrination and social pressure. Because it's a matter of working with the body people are also empowered as individuals as opposed to being dependent on being in a group, and that of course doesn't go over well either.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

It's just TOO WEIRD for me no matter how you slice it...

V665V665

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

See what I mean? WEIRD!

V665V665

• only me
    only me

vamp-

that's hot

• VampireDCLXV
  • poppers
    poppers