Son asked today

by crazy2try 15 Replies latest jw friends

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Sorry I don't get on here as much as I need to. I so love the helpful, encouraging, funny things posted on this board. Here is the latest. I had a major break threw with my son today.

My son and I were home today cleaning in his room. He had just spent the night with a friend (a catholic) who dropped him off before they went to church. While chatting about his day finally he asked me (he's 11) why we don't go to meetings anymore (mindfull he didn't say lately).

I haven't discussed our family fading with him. Today was the day. I guess I was just waiting to see how the children took it. Neither of them ever asked to go. But they have said that they miss seeing some of the JW friends there. We haven't gone to the meeting in almost a year. None of the parents of those children have called. We have had on two occasions two elders stop by to check on us. I always smile and thank them for their concern and blame it on being so busy. Which we are. But that is all another story.

Anyways I proceeded to explain to him that it has been mostly my decision and that Dad is giving me sometime to let me think about things. He asked what was bothering me, so I went on to explain that I believe that we need to seperate what is God's will and what is Man's. I went on to explain that somethings that God wants us to do are in the bible. He wants us to preach, but he doesn' t say we have to turn in our time. He wants us to gather together, but he doesn't say several times a week and if you don't then you are looked down upon. I even explained to him the difference in how I grew up and how I am raising him. Such as I couldn't play with my neighbors. I didn't play sports or go after my talents or dreams. He seemed to listen and understand. He is a very thoughtful boy. Goodness I hate this. He then asked me when I began to feel like this. I told him the truth, since I was little. But the turning point for me was very simple. It was a talk given by a member of the GB at a two day Assembly. The brother repeatedly spoke about not touching the loved ones around you. ex: wraping an arm around your husband, placing your hand on your child's head and so on. That it might stumble the ones around you. I know the brother meant excessive petting, but really. I asked my son if he remember what he said to me during that talk. He didn't of course. I explained he leaned over to me and said "Why don't they just keep their eyes closed?" My son laughed and then said he now remembered, because when he said that he remembered that I almost burst out laughing. I think I was really struggling at that point not to get up and cause a scene and walk out with my kids. I went on to explain that the talk was the last talk of the meeting. It should be encouraging and building your love for God, not giving us more rules to follow. He seemed to understand that.

He then asked about my family. My Mom and Dad are no longer witnesses and I have three brothers. My parents divorced almost 12 years ago. My mom could no longer handle the stress of being married to a Elder. She faded. My Dad stepped down and eventually faded. Both remarried. Of my brothers-one is disfellowshiped, a second contimplating fading and the third very very structured as a JW. My son knows all this, but then he remembered that when we visited my family, whom we see maybe once a year, my JW brother spent only a few hours with our family and my mom but would not come around the rest of my family. He asked if that was because my mom is no longer a JW. I teared up and had to tell him "yes." Though my brother doesn't know we are fading. I explained that to my son. He immediately understood that his Uncle was avoiding the rest of the family because of the JW Doctrine. I choked up a bit. My son says "Mom, how about we take a break and go eat some lunch." Good Kid.

I had a hard time holding it together for a few minutes. Thankfully one of my son's silly neighborhood friends showed up. They ran off to play together.

Really should my son have to worry about issues like this. I hate that I didn't fade years ago. Now I have to drag my children through this. No child should have to worry about anything like this. UGH.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Thanks for sharing that! I remember reading your post a while ago about your assembly experience while I was lurking on this site. I dug out the WT it was based on and read it myself. I was so disgusted! The way you handled the conversation with your son is commendable! It sounds like he understands which is great. I agree - kids should not have to deal with the bs of this religion. Kids should be carefree and loved unconditionally. I wish I faded years ago too before my son became a teenager. We can only do the best that we can! You did great. This religion is awful for the way that it deliberately tries to destroy family bonds.

All the best to you and your family!

Hadit

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Hadit, Thank you. I needed your kind words before I went to bed tonight. I didn't get the chance to talk to my husband about this yet, He had to go to work. So I will have to let him know tomorrow. It is hard to have these conversations when the children are around. Again, Thank you.

Crazy

• Hadit
    Hadit

You are very welcome! Have a good sleep and all the best with the conversation with your husband.

Keep up the good work! I truly believe our children will prosper from our unconditional love.

Hadit

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Please don't pussyfoot around with your boy.

He has to know that the WT is BS and why. Just telling him might not be enough. He has to fully understand. He has to be able to prove it to himself.

If he thinks you just wimped out for personal reasons, 11 years of indoctrination could be triggered by some future event and he could jump back into the cult so quick there may be no opportunity for you to do anything about it.

I suggest you get this book and study it with him.

Good luck

Chris

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

wow crazy!

that sounds like a fantasitic talk and a very good way you explained it to him.

keep it up

oz

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Good job mom. Keep up the good work and I think your son will do just fine.

I believe the GB talks do more harm than good. It sure was our case.

Among other GB memorable talks, I remember one that went way overtime and I mean way, way.

I had just had an assembly part and been told in no uncertain terms by the D.O and C.O if I went overtime I would be signalled to get off the stage immediately and I could be sure it would be my last assembly talk.

I was also looking after the Theocratic school and the guidebook clearly said going overtime was an evident lack of respect for your audience.

So you can imagine my thoughts on the last assembly day, during one of the last talks, watching the GBM going on and on like a Duracell Bunny.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i applaud you!! great conversation with your child...
    and believe me i do know how clever they are at 11....

lucky kids to break free while still young enough

my older 2, both mid 20s now, really got screwed
    but the younger 2 got to have a more normal life

• Heaven
    Heaven

crazy2try.... thank you for sharing the discussion you had with your son with us. Very cool. Kids aren't stupid. They are very perceptive.

One of the biggest things for me as a kid was how the WTS went above and beyond the Bible. This organization says they are The Truth. No where in the Bible does it say this.

There is only one reference to the Truth in the Bible and that is Jesus Christ. When a JW says they are The Truth, they are usurping Christ and are contradicting the Bible.

This is blasphemy and a major falsehood.

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Thanks everyone for the support. Black Sheep I will get that book. I would love to teach my children how to think for themselves. I know that I will not be making their decisions for them much longer. They will be teens soon and making a lot of choices with out me. So scary, but anyways.

I grew up as a JW. I can honestly say my life has been very healthy because of the choices and beliefs my parents taught me. I thought that had to do with the JW religion so I continued down the same path with my children. But I now understand they are core values and can be taught with out the JW organization. I have met so many wonderful families and children outside of JW's that I know I can do it without them.

Thankfully, my only family that are still active are my in-laws. And so far they have been very understanding and have not asked why we are not going. I think once a few months back, my mother-in-law said "A lot of people say they miss you at the meetings." I blew it off with a "that's nice." and changed the subject. She hasn't said anything since.

So I keep going, day after day. It really has been nice not having the guilt anymore.

I chose the name Crazy2try orginally cause when I joined, I figured that this might all backfire on me, but I needed to take that chance.

This site has given me a way to express myself when I need to and get feedback from people who understand. Thanks everyone.

Crazy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit