What religion does Steven Hassan practices?

by cyberjesus 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

It's a shame he has to believe in such tyrannical violent unloving non-protective god as Yahweh is purported to be.

Thats not the kind a god I wouldn't and couldn't believe in.

That a terrible low standard for a god in my opinion.

• blondie
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

He's Jewish by birth, for God's sake. Most Jews attend temple whether they believe in God or not. Steve is not into kooky religious ideas. Get over it.

Randy

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

So Randy, he considers himself Jewish just because of the fact that he was born in a Jewish family?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Who's to say how strongly involved with Judaism he is, I strongly doubt he would be adamantly devoted, probably more culturally attached more than anything.

Here's a video clip of him speaking on the Bill O'Reilly show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzgStpZ3PY

Here's a clip of him speaking about the WTS and the Jehovah's Witnesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvqW42Ck4M&feature=player_embedded

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Which game? all I did was to ask you why did you call that Ad hominem logic since I couldnt see any. I wasnt trying to discredit his work based on his his character or his beliefs. I was directly questioning his beliefs and wondering why? So I dont see any Ad hominem at all. Is an actual substantiated question, if you add to that the Fact that Dogpatch who knows him closely commented on you thread :

CJ, I said that for the simple reason that ad hominem is in regards to the man as opposed to any particular argument the individual has made. If the work stands alone then why is this issue of any interest? There must be a reason why there's an interest, and we would naturally associate him with his work even if we don't make that claim. Once again I did not say there is a fallacy because there is not the assertion that any such thing must disprove his ideas, I said logic because the man is associated with his work on mind control - is there really any quesiton about that? Put it this way, I'm looking at things in a psychological way and not as much in terms of critical thinking, so it's not a matter of any argument for or against but just whether it's relevant. And again it hasn't been just you or even this thread, or even the one you referred to where Randy posted although you only have to scroll up to see the comments by others here. The only reason I make this observation is because there seems to be a bit of a trend in the collective thinking on this forum.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Actually, in all the times I have spent with Steve, I don't remember ever discussing his personal religious beliefs. We just never brought it up and really didn't care about it. He never tried to sway anyone we were exit-counseling in that area, but rather prompted them to find their own path. Among most exit-counselors it is not cool to try and convert you to something else. In fact, we have to tone down the parents who are wanting that.

It is to help you see where you took a wrong turn in your life, go back and pick a better option to improve your life. Never heard him make even one recommendation other than reading non-religious psychology-related books. I would respect him much less if he did suggest an alternative religion!

Randy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its good that he keeps his religious views to himself, I agree with randy, and I think it makes his views less bias.

We do have to remember that any religion that allows people to came and go as they please, to associate with whom they choose and to worship in the manner they see fit, is NOT a cult.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Yes I understand, and I wouldnt expect him to try to convert anyone, I was just curious to know what religion he practices and how involved is he.

MARK MARK MARK: Once again my friend. This thread was not intended to discredit Steven Hassans work based on his religious beliefs. Au contraire I actually wasnt even thinking of his work. But because of his work I was wondering if he had any religious beliefs. And the reason I ask you to prove the ad hominem logic is because there was not such on any of my comments. I m thinking perhaps you assume I was doing that.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    Its good that he keeps his religious views to himself, I agree with randy, and I think it makes his views less bias.

I don't care who you are.

Your religious views CANNOT be kept to yourself, especially if you write articles, books, whatever.

At the very least, they WILL make their subtle appearences.

JDW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit