How long is long enough to consider yourself safe?

by cherrypye 18 Replies latest jw friends

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

Hello All!

For those of us that were baptized and faded, how long do you think before we can stop worrying about being called in for a JC? I've faded 13 years ago, but I still never answer an unknown phone number, don't answer a knock at the door unless a friend has told me they are on their way, etc. Also, I avoid giving anyone other than my mom my contact info and no one gets my address.

I could care less about avoiding a DF, were it not for my family that is still in. I'd like to maintain ties with them if possible. I belong to another religion now, and have married a non-believer as well. He acts like my bouncer, lol, and if we are at family functions, he never lets any potential elder get close to me unless he recognizes them as family.

So how long is long enough? Have you heard or experienced long-time inactive folks being called on decades later?

• moshe
    moshe

You will never be safe, unless they change the shunning rules or your family decides that blood is thicker than WT rules.

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

I fear you might be right, Moshe. It seems at some point, the wit-men would just leave us in peace.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I highly doubt the leadership types will ever be inclined to leave faders alone. Getting baptized truly is like joining the mob. Once you are one of them, you can never leave; your only option is to hide. If someone has it in for you, they'll get you eventually. I wonder if everyone's "number will come up" someday. I'm trying to come to terms with that. The only thing that might get you any relief is legal action. That's what I'm going to try if I get a knock on my door from one of "them" or one of "those" phone calls. I think the only reason no-one visits ME is because my JW mother still visits me and my old JW congo and they can thus pump her for info about me...

V665V665

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

Been out 7 years, and still get about 4 to 5 visits a year with magazines, letters and 'dinner' invites. Thankfully, I reckon they lost my phone number. I might change my name by deed poll, and get some major plastic surgery, then I think I might be alright.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Move. thats the only solution

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My mother was baptized and didn't attend a meeting for the last 30 years of her life. She never felt safe. She had 4 sisters and a brother-in-law and numerous nieces and nephews still in. But she never felt safe.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I stopped attending meetings over 5 years ago. I NEVER hear from anyone from the congregation.

• Think About It
    Think About It

You'd have a better chance of having the Mafia drop a contract out on your life, than for the JW cult to drop DF'ing you if they got the chance no matter how many years have passed.

You are never safe from getting DF'd. In fact with your hubby acting as your bouncer, it sounds like you are in the ex-JW witness protection program.

Think About It

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

"In fact with your hubby acting as your bouncer, it sounds like you are in the ex-JW witness protection program."

Think About It, you're absolutely correct!!! Thank goodness for him!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit