Why move magazine printing from the U.S. to Canada?

by factfinder 27 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

The January 2011 issues were printed in Canada so the change was made.

The wts spent millions of dollars enlarging and updating the printing operations in Wallkill so they could consoladate the book and magazine printing at the one location. It was in 2004 that they stopped the presses in Brooklyn and began book production in Wallkill.

Now just 6 years later they suppossedly sold several of their presses from the U.S. and Canada, bought a large new very fast press for Canada and had to enlarge the printery there to accomodate it.

Now the Canada branch will print over 260 million magazines for the U.S.each year and all the expansion done in Wallkill was for nothing.

Does anyone know why this was done?

• moshe
    moshe

Global warming soon? Canada will be basking in balmy remperatures year round while the USA has turned into a 110 degree sauna.

• Quando
    Quando

I think someone here mentioned the Canadian health system will save $$ for the borg...the printing industry is extremely toxic, so I am sure they have suffered finacially paying for healthcare!

• factfinder
    factfinder

They are continuing to print the books, bibles, booklets and brochures in the U.S. though. If they want to save money on health care would'nt they have Canada take on all of this printing for the USA too?

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

You can bet it has something to do with money, regardless of the details.

• blondie
    blondie

Canadian health insurance sounds like a good reason.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't know any more than anyone else, but it is possible that New York state was looking more and more like it was going to force WTS to pay more than healthcare costs. They may be on the verge of ruling that WTS has to pay some kind of pension to Bethelites who are out of the social security system for lack of funds.

I really thought, back in the day, the WTS would care for it's own that stuck it out at Headquarters. As it turns out, that's just another lie.

Other possible monetary reasons- Sell the printing presses in NY state while they still have some value. Buy cheaper stuff in Canada that will wear out and then switch to PDF magazines.

• Room 215
    Room 215

MONEY is always the hidden agenda with them....

• moshe
    moshe

Who knows- the WT could end up selling it's upstate NY properties in a few more years- they have a lot of value and would make a wondeful low security prison for white collar criminals!

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

So it can become the Watchtow Eh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit