January 1 WT - Garden of Eden - Most inane article in a while

by eric356 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eric356
    eric356

The WT has really managed to outdo itself in regards to stupid, poorly researched articles attempting to defend ancient myths as literal history. The latest effort is the cover article "The Garden of Eden - Myth or Fact?". No moderately educated adult should have to ponder that question for long before answering "myth". Would any organization NOT be laughed at and ridiculed if they wrote an article titled "Prometheus and Fire - Myth or Fact?"? The WT has always had crazy beliefs, like all animals being vegetarians before the Flood, but they don't usually put them on the cover, preferring to talk about non-controversial topics like Jehovah loving you or how bad lying is to potential recruits. In many third-World countries, and poorly educated Fundamentalist areas of developed countries, the cover won't raise an eyebrow, but everywhere else, it's going to invite ridicule.

The article totally misrepresents or misunderstands basic science in an effort to lend some secular credence to its wild, mythical fantasies. Obviously, some idiot at the Watchtower half-heard something about Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam and didn't understand what these words actually mean. They don't understand what a Most Recent Common Ancestor is. They also don't "acknowledge" that these two humans were separated by tens of thousands of years. They also mislead by strongly implying that there was "only one" human male and female at some point.

I think that these types of articles show the Watchtower's ongoing contempt for educated people, knowledge in general, and intellectual honesty. Their publications exclusively target the vulnerable, the uneducated, and the superstitious.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Decent analysis, Eric, but is there any chance you could post a few quotes??? I don't get the magazines and usually don't like downloading things from the internet - I'm way too virus-shy - so I would really appreciate a few paragraphs quoted from the magazine...

Thanks!!

Zid

• sir82
    sir82

Watchtower science: Cherry pick isolated quotes and ideas that seem to support our theological notions when taken out of context, and ignore everything else.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

They need Adam and Eve more than almost any other Christian sect. Without those two crazies, there is no "bet" between Jehovah and Satan over whether people will choose the right guy.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Obviously, some idiot at the Watchtower half-heard something about Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam and didn't understand what these words actually mean.

I disagree. I think they know exactly what those terms mean. They just know that their memebrs don't.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Their publications exclusively target the vulnerable, the uneducated, and the superstitious.

This I wholeheartedly agree with!

-Sab

• eric356
    eric356

zid - the link to the magazine is straight from the Watchtower website, which you can verify by hovering over it and reading the text at the bottom of your browser window. The WT is pretty evil, but I don't think they're embedding any malicious code in their PDFs.

I wouldn't want to take their stuff "out of context."

• eric356
    eric356

Sab - I sometimes wonder whether the Writing Dept. is just stupid or really smart but malevolent. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and just assume they are stupid. Though in this case, it might be impossible to tell the difference.

• minimus
    minimus

Sir, how do YOU stay in?

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Without Adam..... there is no NEED for Jesus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit