Just got off the phone with my mom

by doublelife 17 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Whisper to her that most JWs in her position are going back for medical degrees (seriously!-- RNs can work 3 days a week and 'pioneer', other degrees are as Respiratory Therapist, Pharmacy Techs, Lab Techs, Cardiovascular Techs, and Surgery Techs- all can have 4 day work weeks which again can be sold to her as 'pioneering or aux pioneering worthy careers'. They all have good pay and benefits!

IF she says no....cite me (a friend) whose mom is older than her but got her LVN so she could work through getting her RN and is now working on her BSN (paid for by her employer no less!)and will eventually get her MSN because teaching online courses also affords a lot of personal freedom as long as you take a netbook along in FS!

It isn't about pursuing higher education to glean 'wealth' but to afford her the ability to pioneer and 'do more' ........even perhaps go where the need is greater!

I don't care how you spin/package it just sell her on it so she can support herself and you can have a little breathing room!

Lots of government help too! Use all available without shame if it guarantees her never to be in need again!

All it takes to starts is filling out this--->>>> http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

• yknot
    yknot

WHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT????????

Where the hell in Texas is she??????????????????

Medical Assistance are the bottom on the totem pole but still I know of plenty of MAs who are switching jobs constantly!

• yknot
    yknot

If not.....

Lots of JW dating sites are popping up.... (roll eyes- at least you can preview potential step daddies--)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I feel you

• yknot
    yknot

If she isn't 'motivated'......career wise

Maybe the best bet is to get her slim and HAWT again, her ego will bloom and you can point out that 'quality' brothers (ie reaching out but also financially stable) at her age aren't looking for a wife that isn't working (this is completely true of most Tx Brothers I know slightly older than her!) they want a gal that brings something to the table because they more than likely already had that kind of marriage with the now EX-Wife staying home and raising the kids.

The better career she has the better man she can chose from.......(of course if she happens to meet a 'worldly' who is financially stable and sweet on her along the way.......well...... that is great too!)

Men at this age want to visit with the G-kids, travel, do hobbies, play golf etc and they want a wife that is understanding to their broadened interests now that his kids are grown!

Finally...... support undergarments- even when in 'shape' they still add extra 'oomph' to any outfit!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    What do children of jws who have no retirement plan do? How do you take care of your parents when you can barely take care of yourself?

They put themselves in that position.

They encouraged their kids to to make poor choices.

Now they have to live with the consequences. Especially so, if they are not going to apologise for those descisions.

• doublelife
    doublelife

yknot: I don't think I'd be able to talk her into going back to school. We've already talked about that before, and she had such a hard time with MA school(she just barely passed) that I don't think she'd be able to do nursing school. She live about 20 outside of Dallas. I think the reason she's having a hard time getting hired is because she was fired from her last job. She worked as a dental assistant for about 12 or 13 years, but only at one place. So she was fired from the only place that she can use as a job reference. Of course, my mom thinks that the reason she was fired is because she is a jw(persecution complex). The company she worked for started moving her around to different locations towards the end, and the last boss she worked with told her that the reason they were doing that is because she just isn't good at her job. I don't know a whole lot about what Texas brothers around her age are looking for, but I'd love to get her "slim and HAWT" again. And my mom already wears support undergarments, but it'll be a challenge to get her to fix her hair and makeup properly. Most Texan women overapply makeup and hair products, my mom underapplies it.

Black Sheep: Very true. I even had a jw friend tell me the same thing a few years ago. However, she is still my mom and I'm going to worry about her, especially since she has nothing to take care of herself with.

• TD
    TD

I was picturing someone about the age of my parents, but your Mom is actually younger than me!

Fifty-three is young enough to have seen the exact same thing happen with the previous generation of JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit