yeah that makes sense

by will_the_apostate 10 Replies latest jw friends

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

A little while back my siblings and I (one JW two exJW's) had and intervention for my mother (JW) because she nearly killed herself by abusing her perscription medicine. like most addicts she denied that she had a problem and refused to get help, so my sister, brother, and I all restricited our contact with her as agreed until she would get help. my mother turned to her local elders (she is inactive, only because she doesn't like to leave her house, she still believes) and sent them after my sister and I. I haven't been to a meeting since 2006, i am married to a non JW (OH THE SHAME) and celebrate holidays, the elders show up at my house unannounced and start brow beating me in the most christian way about respecting my parents and (this is hiliarious) tell me that just because i don't agree with everything she does (they also tell me that she needs all her pills because of her pain) doesn't mean i can cut off association with her because it isn't scriptual... I couldn't help myself i laughed outloud

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

Yeah, that's definitely rich! The same way the congregation will pass around sob stories of some bible study being persecuted, all the while patting themselves on the back for shunning their children that left the truth!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hmm, that sounds about right.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Typical hypocrisy. To a Dub elder, it is NEVER ok to shun a JW in good standing but it is ALWAYS appropriate to shun ALL ex-JWs.

I'd like to address you and your siblings' shunning strategy, though. It's wrong. Shunning is cold and evil no matter who is doing it and who it is directed toward. Stop it. You want to help your mom beat her drug addiction? Shunning her back toward the Borg is going to accomplish the exact opposite. Offer her love and help and kindness that she would NEVER experience from JWs. Prove to her by your actions that normal people are BETTER BEHAVED people than programmed JWs.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Yes, WTAA, I do think that Mad Sweeny has given a very good reason to resume relations with your mom. Is all her medication for pain? Your remark that she can't make herself leave the house makes me wonder if she doesn' have agrophobia in some small way. How severe is that problem? Could she be seeing a doctor who is prescribing some kind of OCD drugs? I just wondered....

• zoiks
    zoiks

Mad,

I agree that shunning is cruel, but there happens to be more to this story. If will_the_apostate feels comfortable sharing, that is his business. I will just say that their limiting contact with (not complete shunning) their mother only happened after she had put others' lives in immediate danger with her actions, after repeated attempts to help her.

will_the_apostate, I am very sorry if I gave too much info... there is always more to the story.

• yknot
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Thanks, zoiks. All I had to go on was the OP of this thread. If there is physical danger, especially involving children, protecting kids comes first.

Sorry if I got overly-preachy. I'm sensitive to shunning right now.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Mad, you have a PM.

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

MS the situation involved my mom overdosing while watching my two year old daughter, and this is not the first time. I still talk to my mom and she is allowed to see her grandchildren with suprivised visits. i was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of the elders who encourage shunning but have the minerals to say you can't do it unless they say, ummm i mean jehovah says its ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit