What Would Bring The Watchtower Down?

by metatron 50 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Randy/Dogpatch has posted some interesting material about troubles in the organization. This info generated a lot of skepticism about the possibility of Watchtower fragmentation. Frankly, it is very easy to be skeptical considering everything that ordinary Witnesses are willing to believe or put up with.

I think it would be useful to realistically consider what sort of event(s) would bring the Watchtower down or cause its fragmentation? I look for an answer by considering the organization as having 3 levels and looking at what could happen to each.

1) Trouble At The Top - if you have ever known a congregation to fall apart, the reason usually involves bad elders. The same thing could happen to the organization if the Governing Body (AKA 'The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight') continues their poor judgement, negativity, and lack of care for publishers. Examples?

Judging music is subjective, obviously, but I don't see how anyone can avoid thinking that the new songbook is the worst ever. Pedantic, uninspiring, plodding, with hack lyrics. At least with the 'molested bees' book, they had a few good tunes. Just another reminder about how distant and unfeeling they are.

Let's throw in their endless condemnation of anything new, novel or interesting in the world at Circuit Assemblies. Let's add their latest slap in the face to bored, tired publishers by declaring that the 'congregation is not a social club'. Add the end of local book studies and 'goodie night'.

...........and then let's also add their continuing betrayal of their most loyal supporters at Bethel - tossing them into the worst job market in 60 years and shutting down Branches. These folks have relatives and friends - and they talk....

In addition, their spreading fear and warnings about apostates tends to eliminate the practise of moderation and good sense. Who wants to be accused?

You would think they are trying an experiment such as 'how greatly can you compromise an airplane before it crashes?' You unscrew some bolts, grind off some paint, drain some fuel, fire the crew one at a time and keep at the task until it dives into the ground and explodes. How much is too much?

I don't think it is likely but a prolonged public legal struggle or exposure involving the GB could bring it all down. You never know.

2) The Failing Middle - they are losing elders but they also are stuck with the dilemma of what to do with Circuit Overseers. If they keep them, they are stuck with horrible potential liability because there is a strict hierarchy and chain of command. If they lose the C.O.'s, they WILL likely disintegrate. And the C.O's cost them money, too.

Consider too, that if they 'lose the middle', they also isolate themselves from needed contrary opinion. There has always been a problem with sycophants and a$$-kissers in Bethel but their experience with condemning oral sex illustrates how a few guys with common sense saved the organization from devastation caused by their legalistic view of 'sodomy'. Elders started grilling married women about what they did to please their husbands and the whole thing was turning into a huge disaster. Wiser heads prevailed - do you think that will always be the case?

3) The Decaying Base -what will they do if their economic model fails? They print and print and where are the donations? Will the neglected publishers be inclined to give more if they are treated so badly? What would happen if most every publisher knew about the head tax and fake deficits at the Assemblies? If older publishers are complaining that their kids need college and retirement plans, will they leave their estates to the Society? These older people are their biggest and most loyal supporters - and they criticise them? What does this say about the loyalty of the rest?

The above are some thoughts to build on or critique. I conclude that fragmentation is a growing possibility, at the very least.

metatron

• Clifford
    Clifford

They will not be brought down.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

While I am of the group that thinks they will not be brought down by some sudden event, I love the threads that speculate....

Like Metatron says, all organizations are successful because of their pyramid-like structure. One of the levels fails, the whole thing falls. Poor management in the business world means that the competition comes in and eats their lunch. In the religious world though, its a lot more difficult because the lower levels remain loyal for reasons other than money. Their lives are on the line for Gods sake! At least that is how they look at it.

All three levels in WT world are under stress. The GB can't seem to come up with any new ideas, so they just keep spouting "Be loyal or die" They need a Fred Franz, or a date...but their committee like structure does not allow for a Fred Franz. Another date is the most intriguing option for a doomsday cult. Energize the base, rake in the new members (and the cash) then hold on like nobodys business after the date fails. If they set a date thought then they really risk another 1925 like fiasco where more than half leave.

Middle management is of course another problem. Elders are old, burnt out, and just tired of giving up their lives for no return on investment. With no new blood in the pipeline, this level of the pyramid is stressed to the max.

The base is still the strongest, just because of sheer numbers. The mind controlled masses will stay in because of the carrot on the end of the stick. As Meta points out, the problem here is an uneducated, low-earning (thus tight fisted) base of publishers means that the literature will be cut back further. The Awake will go next, and tracts will be substituted for Watchtowers in the ministry. Eventually (20 years down the road) the public WT will finally meet its maker.

• ziddina
    ziddina

A blasted atomic bomb???

Sorry. Feeling particularly hostile towards them tonight...

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

What would bring the Watchtower down?

A helluva a lot more than a rag-tag bunch like us can muster...

V665V665

• wobble
    wobble

I don't think the WT will be "brought down", much as I would love to see it.

I do think it will kind of "melt" away through attrition, but this will take many decades, perhaps even into the next century.

Their biggest enemy is education, this can be provided by the Internet and other media, but I still stick by my timescale.

• inbetween
    inbetween

as long as there are people who "need" an org to tell them what to do, it will never be brought down,

I agree with wobble, with more ducation and information available, sooner or later numbers will shrink, but still, there are those who need the org. Even now, almost half of publishers are weird people, who will always deny the facts, and defend the org at any cost, just because it is their mother, their "where else should we go"

as much as I would ike a finish for the WTS, it will not happen soon....

• streets76
    streets76

You're looking at it: The internet.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I agree with streets. If human consciousness brought down the Iron Curtain, then human consciousness + the Internet can certainly bring down the Tower.... the Web's only been around for fifteen years... for the most part growth has stopped in countries that are connected. Give it some more time and maybe a scientific "discovery" or two that wipes out the remaining shaky pillars that Christianity rests upon.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Nothing in my lifetime!

There is too much inertia to suddenly stop it, coupled with plenty of assets. If you're old enough to be on this site you're probably too old to see the end of the WTS!

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit