A Social Security question...

by coffee_black 36 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

This has been nagging at me...and I think that tomorrow I'll call the SS office to find out for sure.

My jw xhusband recently started collecting SS. He is 62. I was married to him for almost 20 years, and we filed taxes jointly. We divorced in 1990. I don't think he paid much into SS if at all.. he had his own business.. and worked for others for short periods of time over the years. After the divorce, he continued his own business. I worked pretty consistently during the marriage... and continued to do so after the divorce... with progressively better paying jobs.

Is it possible that he is somehow tapping into my benefits? I can't collect for a number of years yet...

Coffee

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I don't think it's possible, it's paid off of Social Security numbers. Unless...he's somehow using your number.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Interesting question, if he is somehow tapping it your future benefits will not be affected. But it would be interesintg to find the answer.

A wife or ex wife can collect on her husbands if they were married for 10 years. I would imagine in this day a ex husband could do the same. Were you married to him for at least 10 years?

I always advise women that if they were married to someone for at least 10 years to collect on their ex's or current husband's money at 62 till retirement age and then switch over to theirs if it is higher..
    In other words collect on the benefit that will bring the less amount of money at first and then switch to the higher paying one when you reach retirement age. Don't forget that the one you are not collecting on till later is increasing each year, especially if one party is still working.

I don't see why he couldn't be collecting on yours if he is still working and maybe he will switch to his later? Or vice versa.

Let me know what you find out. You could just call SS and ask them.

Snoozy

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Sam... I wouldn't put it past him. If he didn't pay into the system, how can he be collecting? I just have this gut feeling...

Coffee

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Here is their website where you can ask questions:

http://www.ssa.gov

or you can call them direct at: 1-800-772-1213

Snoozy

(Sorry about the link, you will have to copy and paste as my computer isn't doing links)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey coffee, here's a link

http://www.ssa.gov/

hope this helps

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Snoozy,

We were married almost 20 years...and have been divorced for 20 years. He is not working...has retired...and remarried a 20 something Phillipino jw about a year and a half ago, and has applied for a green card for her. If he can collect on my benefits, I am horrified!

Coffee

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

OK, I found the answer. He can collect half of what you would be entitled to but only if you are already collecting. In other words the number being collected on has to be already receiving SS benefits (are you?) before he can collect on that number. He dodesn't have to have worked or be working to collect off yours.

The one thing it didn't cover was if he is remarried..that may influence it.You can type in your question at the site I posted. My opinion is it doesn't matter. A ex wife that has many ex husbands can collect off the one that made the most.

Snoozy

• moshe
    moshe

It is possible. The benefit amount will be less than a spouse could get, but if he had sporadic work or a low amount of self employment Fica taxes paid in, then it might pay more to draw off of your record.

added- the ex-spouse must not be married in order to collect off your earnings record

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Snoozy,

I am not collecting... plan to work for years to come. Most of what I have earned has been since the divorce. Am I understanding correctly that he can claim half of my benefits? I would only collect half of what I am entitled to??

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit