Reporting time

by serein 17 Replies latest jw friends

• snakeface
    snakeface

I always thought of it this way. What if the ministry was my job, something I was charging the society an hourly fee for? I would expect to be paid starting when I arrived at the Hall, just as I expect my employer to start my time as soon as I show up at the office whether the computers are down or not. At my job I don't punch out when I go to the restroom or get coffee in the breakroom. So it was the same with field service. If we met at the Hall at 9AM and then at noon we were back in the kingdom hall parking lot, I'd count 3 hours. It didn't matter if we drove 30 minutes to the territory, worked an hour, took a 15-minute break, then I sat in the car for 15 minutes while others were on a return visit. I made myself available from 9-12 so I counted the 3 hours.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Jehovah wants to see double digits on that time slip. You are not a faithful servant of God unless you spend at least 10 hrs a month driving from one empty house to another. Results don't matter, its the appearance of effort that does. And if you are an elder or a servant make sure that your service is visible so the other friends know you are setting an example. Don't go out on Friday when no one else does. Make sure you go out on Saturday morning when everyone can see you "pray in the broadway"

I had an argument about exactly this last night. It makes me sick that our perceived worth as god's worshipers doesn't have anything to do about the way we live or read the bible or pray. Instead it is all about time!

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

I did for years, couple of last years still reporting I had more or less the 1-2 hours thing without matching performance. Nobody really cared or wondered that I was missing from FS meetings.

I was often reminded about late reporting though, which I then texted. One day I started thinking, who am I kidding, I came to a conclusion it was myself I was betraying actually. This time in due time, sent my text stating zero. No reaction, none at all. It was a relief, it really didn't matter.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I haven't turned in time for about 2 years. But my wife keeps turning it in for me! So I keep getting the reminder calls from the secretary to turn in my time!!! I just delete em and don't tell my wife. I don't want to add to their inflated ego in saying "Gee we are great! We spent 1 gazillion hours in service this year!!!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

clearpoison, that's is along the lines of my thinking. By lying to the SO each month giving him false numbers, I'm playing by their rules and I am doing no favors to myself. I should be getting a call soon from the SO, this time, I'll tell him 0. I know he is going to ask am I sure I didn't preach at all, I'll just keep reiterating 0. There is no excuse, no reason that I need to explain why I don't have any time to report.

The whole reporting of time is pharsaical IMO. JWs = Modern Day Pharissees.

BroDan, I did some number breakdowns earlier this year on the amount of hours in the ministry spent last year divided by the amount of new baptized publishers. It came out to something like 5,500 (est) hours per new baptism. I don't know about you, but if my employees spent that much time on something with only 1 result, they'd be fired. The WTS version of 'preaching' is inefficient and ineffective.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Agreed. Maybe I'm just not a good teacher, but I pioneered for 5 years and didn't "bring anyone into the truth". God I hate that phrase.

"I brought 19 people into the truth!"

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

LOL! Me too, I pioneered for just over a year, went to pioneer school, blah blah blah, raised in the truth, spent more Saturdays of my life in field serv-us than a kid should. To this day, my count of bringing anyone into the 'truth'... 0. I'm planning on keeping that record too. In fact, I'm on a mission to go into negative numbers.

• Ding
    Ding

I heard of a brother in a neighboring congregation who always volunteered to go for coffee and donuts.

He counted the same hours as everyone in the car, even though he never actually went to a door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit