The Girl Who Made Grown Men Shut-Up and Listen.....

by AK - Jeff 12 Replies latest social current

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I wonder where she is today? I wish she were my child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sb6RmRMbBY&feature=related

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Whoever said that 'public speaking' was the exclusive realm of the Jw TMS? This girl was dynamic.

Jeff

• Texas Apostate
    Texas Apostate

I used to give talks like that at that same age. Being graded and coached since the age 4 made it easy. I also used to a have a very simplistic way of looking at the worlds problems. I also new what the answers where to those problems. I was a JW

Then I grew up.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Amazing. What year was this? "out of the mouths of babes."

• Heaven
    Heaven

She is David Suzuki's daughter.

Severn Cullis-Suzuki was born and raised in Vancouver, Canada. Her mother is writer Tara Elizabeth Cullis . Her father, geneticist and environmental activist David Suzuki, is a second-generation Japanese Canadian. While attending Lord Tennyson Elementary School in French Immersion, at the age of nine, she founded the Environmental Children's Organization (ECO), a group of children dedicated to learning and teaching other youngsters about environmental issues. In 1992, at the age of 12, Cullis-Suzuki raised money with members of ECO, to attend the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. Along with group members Michelle Quigg, Vanessa Suttie, and Morgan Geisler, Cullis-Suzuki presented environmental issues from a youth perspective at the summit, where she was applauded for a speech to the delegates. The video has since become a viral hit, popularly known as "The Girl Who Silenced the World for 5 Minutes". In 1993, she was honoured in the United Nations Environment Programme's Global 500 Roll of Honour. In 1993, Doubleday published her book Tell the World ( ISBN 0-385-25422-9 ), a 32-page book of environmental steps for families.

Cullis-Suzuki graduated from Yale University in 2002 with a B.Sc. in ecology and evolutionary biology. After Yale, Cullis-Suzuki spent two years travelling. Cullis-Suzuki co-hosted Suzuki's Nature Quest, a children's television series that aired on the Discovery Channel in 2002.

In early 2002, she helped launch an Internet-based think tank called The Skyfish Project. As a member of Kofi Annan's Special Advisory Panel, she and members of the Skyfish Project brought their first project, a pledge called the "Recognition of Responsibility", to the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg in August 2002. The Skyfish Project disbanded in 2004 as Cullis-Suzuki turned her focus back to school and enrolled in a graduate course in the University of Victoria to study ethnobotany under Nancy Turner. In 2010, French DJ Laurent Wolf sampled Cullis-Suzuki's 1992 Earth Summit speech for the track "2012: Not the End of the World".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Cullis-Suzuki

• cantleave
    cantleave

An amazing person - more power to her.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

WoW - thanks for sharing.

• clarity
    clarity

Amazing that someone so young 'get's it' like Severn does. Fabulous, thanks for that jeff!

clarity

• Hadit
    Hadit

Thanks Jeff! That was truly amazing. Children are so free of ego - they see what needs to be done.

• Satanus
    Satanus

"act as one single world"

She's one of those dam illuminatis, heh.

Seriously though, great speech. She has great parents to get her started. David suzuki is a great guy. He emerged w a positive sttitude, despite growing up w prejudice and living in the internment camps for japs in canada. I have nothing but respect for them. I like:

"you are what you do, not what you say".

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit