Mmm...college

by mikepence 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

Thanks to the supportive words and encouragement of many here, I am now officially a student at Arizona State University.

I just went to campus, and got a hard copy of the General Catalog at the book store, and I went to the computer lab to setup my access. Just seeing the young and old, people of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds, milling around campus, all engaged in the wonder of learning, made me take pause and think about how silly the JW prohibition on college is, and how completely a learning environment can shatter the Witness world view. Part of me wanted to cry, and another part of me was intrigued by the hot young college chicks...heh.

It is wonderful to be able to make choices for oneself.

Any recommendations for my first course? I definitely will NOT be taking comparative religion!!!

Mike Pence aka [email protected]

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

congrats mike! great news :)

• roybatty
    roybatty

Applied Thermodynamics was one of my favorites

• badwillie
    badwillie

Hey Mike,
    I didn't know you had that in the works. Sounds good!
    I know you'll do well too. I'd like to go back again one day, we'll have to talk about how you find the time.
    Peace,
    -BW.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey there Mike! Congrats! My daughter is considering AU for graduate school.

What do you think you would like to do professionally? A clue, almost anything will require lots of writing skills. Painful, I know, but really worth the time invested. Other than that, since I have a major and four minors, guess you'd say I couldn't figure it out myself for quite a while. Love'd every minute of it though!

Godspeed!

carmel

• mikepence
    mikepence

badwillie,

I am just a 2 minute drive from the main ASU campus, and my work situation is flexible, so attending class during the week is workable. I only plan to take one course this Spring, maybe two in the summer. Obviously, the wife and kids come first.

Carmel,

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe a writer, maybe a therapist, maybe a naturalist. I am definitely entusiastic about learning all of it though. I will be salivating over the course catalog this weekend. I am already a very successful software professional, so I don't really have the need for a lucrative profession driving me. I would have more freedom as a therapist, though, since I could live wherever people in need of therapy are (anywhere), and not necessarily near an urban center.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Mike,

Congrats on being a student at a real university, and not just a trade school. They are as different as lightning and the lightning bug.

What to take? Well, whomever said it a few posting ago was right...YOU MUST LEARN TO WRITE. Take general eds, and make sure you don't gloss over the writing and logic portions. I can't tell you how many people my husband and the others on the federal hiring board pass over every six months who have degrees, sometimes even ADVANCED degrees, but cannot put a cohesive sentence together. More and more employers now require a written paragraph on a topic of their choosing, just to see if you can communicate effectively and logically. If it's between two candidates equal in all other respects, the one who communicates in writing better will get the job.

Hope that helps! And have a great adventure!!!

Susan

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Congrats, Mike; you and me both. I just started as a part time student at Bergen Community College in New Jersey. I'm taking ECO101, Macro Economics, as one of a few courses I need to complete my Associates' degree.

After I get that, I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up. (Better hurry, I'll be 50 in a few weeks)

[8>]

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Congratulations Mikepence

After you become more comfortable with your surroundings, and are confident you are emotionally detached from the JW religion, I would strongly suggest a course in Philosophy, Ethics, or Far Eastern Culture.

Not for the sake of brainwashing your mind to some other ideal, but the information at the very least will expand your knowledge of regions of the world completely different from JW-propoganda. It will teach you to think for yourself, and to appreciate the beauty in ALL kinds of people.

I am confident you will be very satisfied with your personal growth.

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Mike! Congratulations!!! I suggest you take Heavy Breathing 101. It was one of my favorites, along with Humpin' & Bumpin' 104, and Tongue Lashing 213.

I did take a seminary course though: Advanced Retreats.

But, since it was held in Helsinki, I had to take Beginning Finnish before I could start.

And don't forget the best frats. I'd recomend:

Tapta Kegga Beer
    I Felta Thigh
    Takeit Out Deeper

Anyway, be sure to let us know how it's going. And don't forget to avoid those women who are there only to get their Mr.S. degree.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit