"That Letter" about sisters not allowed to spiral-bind the new elders manual

by freddo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freddo
    freddo

You know, the one from the USA branch/brooklyn.

Well I ventured a question to a relative who is an elder here in the UK to see if a similar letter had been sent to elders here. He knows I was an elder and he lets me joke with him to a certain level about how controlling the society is lately.

He confirmed that one has been received and he laughed because it says you can use a D-Ring binder (which I guess is the equal UK term for the US "spiral bound" as long as you don't let worldly people do it and that you have to watch the brother do it.)

I asked whether sisters were allowed to do it and he said even the society wouldn't go that far and smiled.

Sooooooo .... I am wondering if this UK letter has had the "sister" stuff pulled because it is such an embarrassment?

Any elders from the UK or other British-English using countries confirm?

• Scully
    Scully

D-ring binder:

spiral binding:

My guess is that they don't want Sisters™ doing this in any proximity of a photocopier. Because we're all Jezebels.

• freddo
    freddo

Thanks Scully - I get that - but whether elders are allowed to "spiral" or "D-ring" their "flock books" isn't my main thought - it's that I am wondering if the sisters being "not allowed" has been dropped from the UK version.

If so I think that is because of embarrassment at being caught out on the web!!!.

• Scully
    Scully

Of course it has to be those rebellious Sisters™! Those Jezebels!! No Brother™, no Elder™ would ever dream of scanning their confidential copy of the Elders' Manual™ or ever even consider making it available on the internets for all those Apostates™. Sisters™ are weak like that. Their brains are smaller, after all, and they are driven by their hormones!

</sarcasm>

• White Dove
    White Dove

If someone gets the book spiral bound, the book must leave the owner's possession and be given over to the binders, who may chance upon reading it.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Actually, a great service has been done for the Society. In the future they can just put their own link on the Watchtower site for the elder book and save the paper and postage!

• therevealer
    therevealer

I asked whether sisters were allowed to do it and he said even the society wouldn't go that far and smiled.

That's the trouble with the English language. I read that as saying "even the society wouldn't go that far" as in allowing sisters to do it. You apparently read it as going so far as to forbid it. Which it actually is, I'm not sure.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

PMSL! just posted that of FB

• sacolton
    sacolton

I read it as the elder believes the Society wouldn't go so far as to forbid the sisters from binding it. I bet the US letter would shock him.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Come on UK elders. We need clarity here. ha, ha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit